View Poll Results: Should Petreaus Be Considered for SoS?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure!

9 9.57%
  • Um, No.

85 90.43%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Petraeus for SoS?

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    I. was stationed at Ft. Campbell when he was CG of the 101st NonAirborne division. He is a hypocrite. He hammered and ruined lives for what he did. The mistress and mishandling of CLASSIFIED materials is a career ended and jail time for some.
    There are better option. Condi Rice would really be better than anyone discussed so far.
    Mittens is a douche also.

And now back to my regularly scheduled evening. My one year old just shit everywhere! I mean everywhere. It's insane.
    Your life sounds like a little mini DC, then.

And I hesitate to judge things like the mistress leaks. Unlike Hillary's email server, I see room for the truth being a CI play, it's happened before. Sketch AF but without more info I can't judge with confidence. So, if we ignore the mistress leaks would he be a good secstate? No idea.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    Your life sounds like a little mini DC, then.

And I hesitate to judge things like the mistress leaks. Unlike Hillary's email server, I see room for the truth being a CI play, it's happened before. Sketch AF but without more info I can't judge with confidence. So, if we ignore the mistress leaks would he be a good secstate? No idea.
    In my experience, the government frowned upon us fucking our CI's. Maybe things have changed. (If so, I can think of a few I'd like to give a call to.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I think he meant "CI" as in Counter Intelligence, not as most cops think of it as "Confidential Informant."

However, I don't think the mishandling of the info had anything to do with a "CI play." The old man simply gave the info to his crazier than an outhouse rat mistress to keep her happy.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I think he meant "CI" as in Counter Intelligence, not as most cops think of it as "Confidential Informant."

However, I don't think the mishandling of the info had anything to do with a "CI play." The old man simply gave the info to his crazier than an outhouse rat mistress to keep her happy.
    I think you're probably right in hindsight...and I totally glossed over it.

I'm just so used to FCI for "foreign counter intelligence" and CI for "confidential informant" in my former work reports and briefings that I totally went right past it.

Appreciate your bringing it to my attention.
    Last edited by blues; 12-03-2016 at 09:03 AM.

I'm still honestly interested in hearing from at least 1 of the 5 people who may have legitimately clicked the button "Sure!", and the reasoning for such.

Do you feel his charges were not legitimate?

Do you feel his service negates the criminal acts, lack of moral compass, and hypocrisy?

Do you think he's our only hope as SoS, and see it as a doctrine of competing harms?

Do you just not give a fuck because it's politics, and they're all corrupt....he just got caught, so big deal?

Do you just not give a fuck because you don't have a moral compass either?

Did all five of you accidentally click the yes button like FNFAN?

Something else? Inquiring minds want to know.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I think you're probably right in hindsight...and I totally glossed over it.

I'm just so used to FCI for "foreign counter intelligence" and CI for "confidential informant" in my former work reports and briefings that I totally went right past it.

Appreciate your bringing it to my attention.
    So what did you call it when it wasn't foreign?

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    So what did you call it when it wasn't foreign?
    I never worked domestic counter intelligence matters...(our bailiwick was safeguarding our borders and international investigations).

I did work on home grown terrorist / supremacist groups many years earlier in my career but there was no intelligence to be found there.
    Last edited by blues; 12-03-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    I would suggest that the folks saying that are largely mistaken. Over 20+ years of service, I've seen a fair number of incidents involving lost weapons or sensitive items, none of which resulted in anything even remotely close to a $100K fine.
    He makes more than $100K for one speech. (Citation here). That fine amounted to a couple of hours of work for him.

I was trying to rely the sentiment that Petraeus got off with a slap on the wrist.

In my 20 years of service the penalty for losing a CYZ-10, PVS-14 or a pistol resulted in more than a few extra hours of working parties.

He lost his integrity using poor judgement and thinking he could get away with it.

IMO, he's not an acceptable choice for SoS.
    Last edited by Andy in NH; 12-03-2016 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Citation link added
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

What do you guys think of Jon Huntsman, the former Ambassador to China (as well as Gov. Of Utah)?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    What do you guys think of Jon Huntsman, the former Ambassador to China (as well as Gov. Of Utah)?
    His daughter's kinda cute if a bit self absorbed.

User Tag List