Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snubby SW 66's coming out

Site Supporter

Snubby SW 66's coming out

Saw a blurb that these will be available. I always wanted one. Is there any practical reason for not going for it?

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=SM10061

'cause you would rather have one made in the good old days?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Or perhaps because you wanted the real deal--a blued Model 19 with 2.5 inch barrel?

That being said, while it is different from historic model 66's it very well might be a decent revolver.

The idea of that nearly 3" M66 sounds so sweet to me. But wheelies are mostly a guilty pleasure for me now and I've got the heebie jeebies about S&W revo build quality.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

SAFETY:Internal Lock
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    This might be a worthy candidate for the "Plug". The original 2.5 barreled M19/66 guns are stupid expensive now.

Site Supporter
    I already have a Model 19. Didn't think about the lock. Although my 432 and 632 with the lock haven't acted up. I missed an old one at a gun show a few years ago. The seller let it go to a dealer for a low ball before I could yell: NOOOOOO!

As many guns as Lipsey's sells, you'd think they'd have the pull to get them made without the "Hole". Smith makes at least a few J-frames without holes these days.
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

I'll be interested if it has a full length ejector rod.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I saw a catalog listing for this revolver on a website that had a price of $734.99. No pictures or other useful info yet, however.

I've been looking at a lot of user reviews about the new-ish 66 with the 4 1/4 inch barrel. Most are very favorable.

To me, the biggest upside with this new model is that it appears to be engineered to handle full power magnum ammo, including 125 grain magnum rounds. The flat section of the forcing cone, which is purported to be the primary weakness in prior k-frame 357 mag's, is gone. The forcing cone is round now, and I've heard a couple of interviews with S&W employees where they said S&W intentionally wanted to make the new 66 more durable with magnum ammo.

There are a couple of potential downsides I've noticed so far in reviews. The first is, in order to remove the flat edge of the prior version's forcing cone, it appears that S&W might have modified the frame very slightly, so some tight holsters made for older k-frames might not fit right. The second is, there is a question about a gas ring (or lack thereof) in the cylinder. Some users who fire cast bullets with dirty powder have noticed the cylinder starting to bind after 100 + rounds, until the cylinder is removed and the yoke cleaned. I can't say for certain whether these are real-world issues, or just internet whining.

I guess one could also say the two-piece barrel is another downside. I have a Ladysmith S&W 65 with a two-piece barrel that is very accurate, however.

Personally, I see a 2.75 inch k-frame, with adjustable sights, that should be able to handle whatever magnum ammo I care to fire. I plan on getting one, assuming user reviews turn out positive.
    Ordinary guy

User Tag List