Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Meal Planning

One of my easy meals is spinach, coconut milk, protein, frozen fruit in a blender

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Frozen broccoli is great. Toss in olive oil sprinkle to taste with onion and garlic powder. Bake in the oven 325 aprox 25 min. Sprinkle with shredded asiago cheese n serve. I always buy the family size n have leftovers. reheats well.
    You can also do the same thing with green beans but minus the cheese.
    Love crock pots and cooking to freeze. Use quart freezer bags and fill to maybe 3/8 inch thick and lay it flat. Thaws quickly under hot water.
    Breakfast at night is a super easy and fun meal.
    Last edited by UNK; 12-02-2016 at 04:07 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Sous vide" cooking is great for cooking food straight out of the freezer. Buy meat on sale and vacuum freeze. When you are are ready for it stick in a water bath at the temp you want it cooked at, and let it sit for 2+ hours. Take it out of the bag and brown the sides in a hot cast iron skillet. You can't overcook the meat, because it will only get as hot as the water bath. Cheaper cuts of meat turn out very tender. You can make awesome thick cut pork chops this way. People cook all kinds of stuff with this technique (read the reviews), but I can only vouch for beef, chicken, and pork.

More info:http://www.seriouseats.com/search?term=sous+vide

Batching over the weekend is a strong technique for feeding just a couple people. Soups, stews and chili are great options here as well as stated above.

Keeping lots of frozen veg stocked is a great way to avoid eating too many carbs or lower-nutrient fillers if that is your thing. We pay attention to the local sales on stuff like that and go nuts every couple months.

If you do not have them, you really need to get a decent cast iron skillet and a carbon steel wok. Those two cooking vessels can do a lion's share of the work in a creative kitchen. You can make a quick and very healthy meal in a wok, and it is one of the best things to do small batch deep-frying in.

Roast whole chickens/ducks/other birds. Breasts for dinner day 1, legs/thighs for lunch day 2, pick the rest for chicken soup/pot pies/chicken salad the next day.

Pot pies are awesome make ahead of time items. So many options. Save leftover meats you won't really use in a specific bag or container in the freezer until you have enough to make a batch of pies!

Save all of your bones. Get big freezer bags and label them by animal and stash your bones. Learn to make bone stock/broth. Bone broth is the truth and the way.

If you like eggs, hardboil a bunch at a time. They make great snacks and travel/keep incredibly well. Excellent little protein/fat additions to a quick salad. Our youngest just goes Cool Hand Luke on them, though.

The reverse sear technique has become my best friend.

Two things I do regularly are:
    1) Par cook chicken breasts via slow bake to almost done-ness (first step of a reverse sear) with light seasoning. Just a little salt/pepper/olive oil. You can then store these for use through the week. Pull out what you want to use an hour or so prior and let it come to room temp, season for your application and finish in the wok or cast iron. In a pinch you can just nuke it and roll.

2) Get big, beautiful chuck roasts or similar and do a strictly med-rare reverse sear on it. I use a seasoning of ground pepper, rosemary, basil, garlic after olive oil and salting to taste before putting in the oven. Sear it on the cast iron or the grill. This is a great way to get your grill on in the winter as you only have to have the meat on the grill for a couple minutes a side and you still get that great char! Eat some sliced thinly as a steak tenderloin style entree that day. Use the rest for salads, wraps, steak tacos or to top some freshly stir fried veggies the rest of the week.

Hope some of that helps or provides inspiration!

Seriously, though; You gata do the bone broth. It is incredibly good for you. It is also what real people started feeding their babies right after breast milk before we were fed the lie of baby food, and for good reason.

Curries are fairly easy, tasty, and can give you a couple of meals for the prep. Plus, they get better in the fridge, like chili.
    A rice cooker is another good, convenient kitchen tool.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Would y'all please recommend a good slow cooker? Ours is lacking.
    The one we have at home is a Hamilton Beach with timer settings for 4,6,8 and 10 hours which is OK but last year, I picked up Amazon had a lightning deal on the Crock-Pot SCCPVL610-S 6-Quart Programmable Cook and Carry Oval Slow Cooker and have on several occasions marathon cooked batches of sausage,peppers & onions for the gun club and it has rocked.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I prep meals by baking chicken breasts in the oven twice a week and bring them to work with a side of grilled veggies. This gets me through the week (usually) and keeps me out of Subway, Chipotle, etc whilst on duty. I do have lunch with a friend once a month at either a North African or Afghan eatery, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    I either a North African or Afghan eatery, though.
    I demand to be hooked up. I travel everywhere in the continent.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I demand to be hooked up. I travel everywhere in the continent.
    Come to NOVA and we'll grab lunch or dinner, my treat.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

This month or next, will PM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List