Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: December 7 -- ring a bell, Google?

December 7 -- ring a bell, Google?

A friend's FB post today:
    "On many days each year, Google has a “doodle” on its home page. . . a neat little cartoon at the top of the page commemorating some historical event. Past doodles include:
    Malaysia Independence Day (Aug 31)
    Bastille Day (July 14)
    Zora Neale Hurston’s 123rd Birthday
    Cesar Chavez’s 86th Birthday (March 31)
    125th Anniversary of the Largest Snowflake (Jan 28, 2012)

What does Google have on its home page for today, December 7. . . a date that will live in infamy?
    Nothing. Not a thing. Nothing commemorating the bombing of the United States naval base by the Japanese at Pearl Harbor in 1941. Nothing acknowledging the death of thousands of service men and civilians and the wounding of countless others, or the dragging of the US into WWII.
    Granted, Google tends to skew positive and happy in its doodle themes, so they can rationalize not commemorating this terrible attack. But Google controls the content of millions (billions?) of the world’s search results every day, it predetermines what news millions of people consume every day, it has also vowed to be the arbiter of what is “real” and “fake” news in our post-Trump-election news environment. Google's lack of acknowledgement of this infamous day is concerning.
    We remember, Google, even if you don’t."

Google doesn't give a shit unless it's something liberal arts related. Fuck em, I use Bing and everyone PC-competent I know uses Bing too.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    We remember, Google, even if you don’t.
    Exactly!
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Granted, Google tends to skew positive and happy in its doodle themes, so they can rationalize not commemorating this terrible attack. But Google controls the content of millions (billions?) of the world’s search results every day, it predetermines what news millions of people consume every day, it has also vowed to be the arbiter of what is “real” and “fake” news in our post-Trump-election news environment. Google's lack of acknowledgement of this infamous day is concerning.
    I ain't concerned. As noted, Google Doodles feature only positive holidays and commemorations. They didn't do a Doodle for 9/11, VE Day, VJ Day, etc., so why would they do Pearl Harbor?

Beyond that, Google does acknowledge Pearl Harbor, just not with a Doodle.

Camera photo instead of a screenshot to capture the tooltip.

So, please, save your outrage for something actually worthwhile.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 12-07-2016 at 12:48 PM.

They've never done a Doodle for Pearl Harbor before so there's no expectation that they would. Feel free to send them your feedback.

https://www.google.com/doodles/about

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I ain't concerned. As noted, Google Doodles feature only positive holidays and commemorations. They didn't do a Doodle for 9/11, VE Day, VJ Day, etc., so why would they do Pearl Harbor?

So, please, save your outrage for something actually worthwhile.
    Hate to break it to you but that little flag was popped up within the hour. It's Google, I can confirm they don't give a fuck.

And yes, I'm a Google and Apple hater both through work and my regular life.
    Last edited by Peally; 12-07-2016 at 01:10 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Hate to break it to you but that little flag was popped up within the hour. It's Google, I can confirm they don't give a fuck.
    Why should they? They're a tech company. Hell, the fact that they just put the flag up recently shows that at least they're responsive to criticism.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 12-07-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Why should they? They're a tech company. Hell, the fact that they just put the flag up recently shows that at least they're responsive to criticism.
    Agree. While it would be nice if they whooped and whistled that it is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor, it's their company to do with what they want. If you don't like it, start your own Google company.

This has been an issue since as far back as 2007.
    i used to wannabe

125th Anniversary of the Largest Snowflake (Jan 28, 2012)
    Wait, there is a literal "Special Snowflake Day"?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List