Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BBQ Guns

BBQ Guns

To those of you who own these beautiful things, when and where do you wear them? I'm from Texas and have been to plenty of BBQs, even fancy affairs with pigs roasted in the ground and even one with a half of beef turned on a spit over a fire like in the movies. However, I have never seen anyone wearing a sidearm, much less a "BBQ" gun. The only person I ever saw wear one was a sheriff in Weatherford in court. It was a nickel plated and heavily engraved 1911 with an encircled star on the grip. The leather was light brown with a floral design. I can see you former and current law enforcement guys perhaps having a chance to enjoy (wear) a BBQ gun from time to time. But for the rest of us, it would seem out of place to essentially open carry at a BBQ, party, etc.

Site Supporter
    Monthly Texas P-F dinner party!!

I BBQ a lot at home... but even then it's always CC.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    To those of you who own these beautiful things, when and where do you wear them? I'm from Texas and have been to plenty of BBQs, even fancy affairs with pigs roasted in the ground and even one with a half of beef turned on a spit over a fire like in the movies. However, I have never seen anyone wearing a sidearm, much less a "BBQ" gun. The only person I ever saw wear one was a sheriff in Weatherford in court. It was a nickel plated and heavily engraved 1911 with an encircled star on the grip. The leather was light brown with a floral design. I can see you former and current law enforcement guys perhaps having a chance to enjoy (wear) a BBQ gun from time to time. But for the rest of us, it would seem out of place to essentially open carry at a BBQ, party, etc.
    When I moved to Texas I was looking for all these BBQ's with guns. I found it is a bit of a myth. May have been some ranch BBQ's in rural areas, but generally folks were puzzled. On the other hand, Texas cops love court rigs. Also, because I hang out with a lot of rural LEO's who still wear 1911's and floral leather.....yea, when we go eat (which is always BBQ or Mexican), you have a bunch of guys openly armed and many with cool rigs. I think it is a bigger Texas LEO and court thing than anything else.

Here is my new one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    It's not an urban LE tradition here in The Republic, but it most assuredly is out where the real Texans live. It's also the province of high Sheriffs (first heard from my Texan mother, Mrs. Ruby Bell Dobbs, and later by lots of open space Texas peace officers) and Texas Rangers (the real ones, not the ones who choke in the first round of the MLB playoffs).
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I grew up in West Texas - the real West Texas, out in the desert.

BBQ guns were very common. Our family had a large Fourth of July BBQ, and such guns were worn, admired and respected.

Shotguns were often produced and admired, for a lot of planning for quail and dove season frequently happened as well.

I'll talk to one of my older sisters, and see if I can dig out a daguerreotype or two showing off some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    It's not an urban LE tradition here in The Republic, but it most assuredly is out where the real Texans live. It's also the province of high Sheriffs (first heard from my Texan mother, Mrs. Ruby Bell Dobbs, and later by lots of open space Texas peace officers) and Texas Rangers (the real ones, not the ones who choke in the first round of the MLB playoffs).
    It's interesting that you mention that.

Joaquin Jackson's family is holding an estate auction this weekend: https://www.estatesales.net/TX/Alpine/79830/1383087

I got to meet him as a youngster. If any of you are out in my old stomping grounds (Alpine, Texas), you might drop by the auction.

I shoot this once a year in our club-level IDPA match (and I'll be shooting it in this month's upcoming match, as a matter of fact:

It's a John Martz restored 1938 Mauser P.08; myself and the club president (and any else interested in shooting similar historic period pieces) shoot our Lugers; his is a John Larson restored inter-war restored 7.65 Commercial.

Best, Jon

Wait....did you just post a "Naa-zi" gun in the Pacifi Northwest in a BBQ gun thread....???? In 9mm no less. You may now have a warrant for your arrest in the Republic of Texas..
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    It's interesting that you mention that.

Joaquin Jackson's family is holding an estate auction this weekend: https://www.estatesales.net/TX/Alpine/79830/1383087

I got to meet him as a youngster. If any of you are out in my old stomping grounds (Alpine, Texas), you might drop by the auction.
    Luckily, I am working or that would have been a painful trip for my bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Luckily, I am working or that would have been a painful trip for my bank account.
    Which is why you and Wayne got first dibs. You gents could appreciate it.

I seriously pondered a 401K loan, just to keep all those guns here in Texas.

User Tag List