Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally Got an Elk

That is a magnificent animal.

I am delighted that all of your hard work and thought was rewarded. May you savor the memories of that hunt long after the delicious taste of the elk is gone.

Bookmarked link to give me something to aspire to, and...
    Name:  ill-be-in-my-bunk.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  19.2 KB
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Waidmann's heil!
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    Waidmann's heil!
    Waidmann's dank!

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Thanks for sharing such an awesome story.

Magnificent animal and hunt.

Congratulations on the elk! Definitely earned that one. Great story.

Congrats on the elk, and that was a great story and AAR.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Awesome post, it is a great read.

Question as a never been hunting especially big stuff. .308 doesn't have enough whatever for elk size stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Awesome post, it is a great read.

Question as a never been hunting especially big stuff. .308 doesn't have enough whatever for elk size stuff?
    Thanks.

Having only taken one elk, I'm not really qualified to answer, but I do know that plenty of very savvy elk hunters, many of whom post here, kill elk with the 308 and even lighter cartridges every year. At some point, the margin for error starts to drop and you have to start passing up shots with a lighter cartridge, but that's more a function of the shooter, his or her ability, the time of day, terrain, vegetation, and other conditions. For instance, lots of cartridges can kill an elk with a broadside shot in full daylight in open country where any tracking job will be straightforward. But you might want more punch for a monster bull on the edge of acres of thick, swampy cover when it's pouring rain at last light on the last day of the season.

I originally planned to use a 30-06 on this hunt, but mine started giving me trouble at the last minute. I considered a 308, but I talked to some guys who have a lot of experience hunting Roosevelt elk, and they said that I should go up in power instead of down, so I used a 338.

Ultimately, shot placement with a premium bullet matters more than the headstamp on the cartridge. I hit my bull in the spine, and a 30-30 probably would dropped him just as fast as my 338 did. The problem is when you don't hit a place like that, or when the only shot you get is at a difficult angle where the bullet has to penetrate a long way to hit something vital. Some cartridges are better than others at doing that, and some hunters are better than others at finding those places and putting bullets into them.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 12-03-2016 at 07:25 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Outstanding AAR. Thanks!

I'm not much of a hunter (a deer and some birds way back when) but really enjoyed your story. The technical bits as well as the feely stuff.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List