Thread: Magwells or ... ? Spin-off thoughts

Magwells or ... ? Spin-off thoughts

So, this is a spin-off from the magwell discussion in the FAST #15 thread.

From the literature and anecdotal reports, it seems that a stoppage may be mor likely than the need for a speed reload in a handgun v. whatever event. And, from training in SoCal, there is a concern about being forced to finish out the fight strong hand only. With that as my thought process, I ask the following:

Does it make more sense to have a magwell on a double stack pistol or would have it set-up to better facilitate one hand stoppage clearences with cut-outs for hooking the mag instead of a magwell?

Thoughts?

My thoughts are I can shoot pretty much whatever in stock form very well and I suggest others be able to do so also. After we learn more about ourselves the nuances of different weapons we can start customizing them to suit our own individual styles.

For myself, I have been the type of person that wants or will take an advantage where or whenever possible. The key is that it must give;
    - Proven added value in that I have personally thoroughly tested and vetted it to my satisfaction before being deployed for critical use.
    - Must be at least as reliable as factory (sometimes we can improve upon factory).
    - Does not hinder any other function of myself the shooter, or another feature of the weapon.
    - In a trade off situation, I must deem that what the new feature overcomes, outweighs whatever else it has replaced.

So your scenario in my mind is a trade off situation. I don't come anywhere near thinking that a magwell on a Glock is a necessity. I do just fine on stock Glocks. So if the Magwell interferes with stoppages or accessing the magazine in a critical incident, possibly in a one handed incapacitation scenario that you mention then I might not opt for a magwell that interferes.

This was exactly my thought process when dealing with aftermarket magwells especially since I teach a lot of incapacitation stuff. Yes we do a lot of variants on "inertia extractions" of magazines in one handed stuff, but I also like to be able to hook a magazine also. This is the very reason why I came up with my preferred method of doing a heat shaped magwell on a Glock. I also add a cutout on the frontstrap of the grip at the magwell. Easy to hook a finger, on holsters, gear, belt, boot, etc, etc, etc. I prefer this cutout for one handed "mag rips" as opposed to side cuts.

Pictured below is my carry G19 the magwell is flared with a blended grip plug just like my G17 pictures in the other thread. This shows the front cut that I like to use. I have found this magwell, cut design to give all the added benefits without compromising anything else.

Site Supporter
    The guns I carry everyday are very unlikely to malfunction in a way that requires pulling out the magazine, which is a huge part of why I selected them, as well as why certain others were ruled out. Still, having had to clear numerous double feeds in one particular gun with a heel clip magazine release has made me value being able to easily pull out the magazine if I ever have to do so, even if it is unlikely.

Additionally, 20 years of daily concealed carry has caused me to dislike anything that adds more length to the grip.

I might still be tempted to try a small mag funnel on a 1911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

What about a mag well and an extended base plate?

If you fuck up enough reloads in dry fire the gun chooses for you. Free magwell!
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List