Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question on .40 Durability: HK VP40 vs HK P30

Question on .40 Durability: HK VP40 vs HK P30

Despite having a flawless performing VP40 to date, I will admit that the MAC test hiccups with 3 separate VP9s have raised some concurrent questions at least in the background of my mind regarding potential issue carry-over to the VP40. While I've been reassured by an exceptionally experienced and well-regarded member of the forum here as to the inherent empirically experienced and observed overall stellar qualities of the VPs (both 9mm and .40 versions), I still have some residual nagging concerns that refuse to be totally put to rest to date.

While my VP40 is going nowhere (in fact, I'm carrying it now), I have seen some of the exceptional bargain-pricing going on by HK with some of their .40 P30s. Specifically, I handled a P30L in V1/light LEM in the law enforcement package, with Meprolight tritium sights and presumably 3 magazines, for well under $700. That's pretty tempting. The V1 triggerpull was quite nice (with an advertised pull weight of 4.5 lbs) and seemed exceptionally comparable to the VP40's pull weight of around 5.4 lbs. Reset was nice on the P30L V1, but a bit longer than the VP reset distance.

I do have one question, though, regarding the P30's durability in .40 chambering. With the VP40, HK significantly beefed up the slide, both materially (adding some 2.37 oz) and dimensionally both width- and height-wise). as well as providing a heaver-weighted flatwire recoil spring (although HK is now using the VP40 RSA as the across-the-board one for all VPs, upgrading the previously lighter-sprung VP9 RSAs). However, the P30 slide weights and dimensions for the .40 variants are exactly the same as their 9mm variants....which leads me to think that the only engineering differences between 9mm and .40 variants are in the RSA weights, extractors, and slide muzzle hole size, and barrel dimensioning.

Over the years, we've certainty seen how this minimalist differentiation approach has worked with other platforms-that is, not necessarily well, particularly over the long haul, concerning both accelerated RSA wear and frame battering. While the P30 line has certainly achieved a stellar reputation, I suspect that most users are using the 9mm variants. How are the .40 P30 variants holding up, particularly over time, and/or under sustained/heavy use? And, is there an increased RSA replacement interval for the .40 variants?

At the end of the day, I fully realize what I should probably do is just shut up and continue on with the VP40 alone....but I really enjoy the opportunity to benefit from the forum's collective experience and recommendations.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 11-30-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    Thanks for starting the thread. I already bought a stainless USP Compact .40 because I caught one for $645, and I saw a P30 in .40 for FIVE HUNDRED TWENTY TWO dollars yesterday, briefly.

As someone with a decent stock of .40 guns and ammo already, it's hard not to justify adding a few HKs to the flock at that price.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 11-30-2016 at 01:40 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

The primary reason I would consider a P30 or USP in .40, or not, is wanting or not wanting a hammer. His test would be pretty low on my list.

If you wanted to buy on MAC's testing, what would you get?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I already bought a stainless USP Compact .40
    Now LEM it up and join the cool kids' club. Bonus points if you grind off the rubber pinky extension and just leave a little padded buffer on the bottom of the mags.

Always ignore biased and un realistic YouTube bullshitters. Any one that throws a firearm like a tomahawk against a metal target is just a stupid idiot and looses all credibility.

How about shoot the gun for 90000+ rounds and see what breaks. Now that would be worthy of watching.
    Last edited by Arbninftry; 11-30-2016 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you wanted to buy on MAC's testing, what would you get?
    Some Bulgarian or other Eastern European no-name country's totally awesome no-name company pistol.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    Here is an unscientific HK USP torture test:

MAC can take his T-Rex, Wreckx-n-effect, whatever named pistol and shove it! HK USP FTW!

Guys, the purpose of this thread is NOT to revisit the MAC VP9 tests, or any of his other tests-while we had some interesting discussion on the VP9 tests recently, the thread took an unfortunate turn for the worst with a spate of un-pistol-forum-like name-calling and insults, causing the thread to be justifiably locked. The purpose of this thread discussion is to discuss the longevity and durability of the P30 platform when chambered in .40 caliber. I'm interested in feedback from our own august body of members. Let's stay on topic, please.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 11-30-2016 at 07:49 PM.

Site Supporter
    Jon,

FWIW, I had a talk with LAV about .40 pistols during a class of his. He was a fan of anything HK if you wanted a .40, and this was before the VP40.

My sample of one, USP .40, and P2000sk in .40 were great guns, that handled the .40 cartridge well. The guns had milder recoil for a .40. I would assume a P30 in .40 is an improvement on both of those guns.
    Last edited by Guinnessman; 11-30-2016 at 08:27 PM.

Jon,

I only have 2000 rounds through my P30LS V1 .40 so far, but no issues whatsoever. Whereas the VP40 slide has larger outer slide dimensions than the VP9 (thus the increseased mass you mentioned), the P30 .40 slide has less mass removed internally than does the P30 9mm slide. Somone over on HKPro posted interior pics of a .40 and 9mm P30 slide side-by-side and you could definitely see where the 9mm slide had more material removed and thus would weigh less then the .40 slide (I do not know the weight delta betwen the two calibers). It's interesting that HK would take this approach between the two product lines. The VP approach causes a VP40 to not fit in a VP9 holster; whereas theres no diference between holsters for the P30, regardless of caliber.

User Tag List