Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 9: 3x5 Range Push

Did this one cold before "clocking in" to work

Start position: G17 in Safariland 6004 in surrender position
    PAR: 2.12 (clean runs at 5yd were 2.21, 1.98, 2.17)
    Final distance: 6yd

I think I tried going faster instead of trying to stay under the 2.12 par. Got out only to 7yds before I got my miss on the first shot out of holster.

My results on this were pretty miserable. I couldn't even repeat the PAR shots at five yards.

Start Position: IDPA Rig, Concealed.
    PAR Time: 3.00
    Final Distance: 4 Yards.

On the upside, this drill seemed to improve my FAST time dramatically.

Par was 3.13. I made it again at 5y, moved back and missed one at 6, missed one at 5 and cleaned up at 4, so final score 4 yards.

What I found myself doing was rushing the draw sweating the par time, leading to a bad grip. I shot a bunch of 3x5s with no par afterwards. I'm planning to make a 3x5 with no time limit walkback drill a regular part of my practice for a few weeks and work on my draw in dry fire.

Start position was concealed, AIWB, closed-front shirt, hands hanging
    PAR was 1.68 seconds
    Final distance: 3 yards

What a pisser. It was going so well, and then, not...

The whole thing went like this:

3 consecutive clean runs at 5yd (1.71, 1.68, 1.64), PAR set at 1.68 seconds

The sixth bullet hole is hard to see in the picture. It's at the lower left of the 3x5, and clipped the 3x5 by the absolute slimmest of margins.

[IMG] 3x5_Range_Push_01 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]

Push target to 6 yards, 1.58 clean
    Push target to 7 yards, 1.67 clean
    Push target to 8 yards, 1.64 clean
    Push target to 9 yards, 1.69, first shot missed, second shot over PAR
    Retract target to 8 yards, 1.70 clean, but over PAR
    Retract target to 7 yards, 1.75, both misses. Got a bad (low) grip on the draw, pulled both shots low off the 3x5
    Retract target to 6 yards, 1.73 clean, but over PAR
    Retract target to 5 yards, 1.48 (getting frustrated), one miss low
    Retract target to 4 yards, 1.46 clean, 1.47 one miss low
    Retract target to 3 yards, 1.48, 1.42, 1.50 all clean

GRRRRRRRR.....

[IMG] 3x5_Range_Push_02 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Mr_White; 12-01-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks for posting these! I feel like such a lurker, but considering the experience around here I have little [nothing] to contribute, but I LOVE the site and forum as a resource.

I have just purchased an M&P Pro to replace my Armalite AR-24 for USPSA Production and went to the range for a little break in. Transitioning to the M&P striker trigger from the DA/SA has proven a bit difficult (read: the sights must be low and left ).

Start position: USPSA production rig (open holster at side)

First string: 2.21, 2.45, 2.52

Moved out to six yards and made in out to 8 before pulling low & left.

Back to 7 and 3 clean runs.

Start position: G17 concealed in IWB holster under untucked t-shirt
    Par time determined at 5 yd: 2.8 (3, 2.8, 2.75)
    Final distance: 6yd

6 yards, no problem with both shots; 7 yards I shank shot #1 low due to anticipation and voila am back at 6 yards. Ran 3 more pairs successfully at 6 yards and that was that.

Turns out to be a rather short drill when you miss your first shot at 7 yards due to stupidity

Start Position: P2000 LEM AIWB under closed front sweater
    PAR Time: 2.95
    Final Distance: 6 yards

I got pummeled today with high winds, dust storm, rain and then pea size sleet. I should of just called it an early day but on the up side I had the range all to myself......

Start position: concealed apendix carry IWB covered with button shirt & Jacket
    PAR: 5.12(my clean runs from 5yrd were 4.88, 5.12, 6.33)
    Final distance: 4yd -- (made it out to 6yd, missed at 7yd: missed during first string at 7, couldn't make it under par during second string at 6, at this point I was frustrated and was pushing my draw too fast and not getting a proper grip and couldn't get both rounds on the 3x5. I calmed down and finally got things under control at the 4yd line....

No doubt about it, this drill kickded my butt --however, it did, (quite effectively) point out several of my weaknesses. I REALLY need to work on my draw, and have decided to focus on it daily during dry fire. I'm going to try practicing follow up shots during range sessions as well. The plan is to try this drill agian in two weeks and see how I do.

Start position: concealed, aiwb under a pullover, hands hanging
    Par: 2.9 (runs were 2.79, 2.96, 3.15)
    Final distance: 7 yards, got out to 9 and missed, fell apart trying to go fast at 8 then settled down and out in 3 good runs at 7.

A challenge as always. Definitely need to get back to dry firing. Press outs were ugly (and slow).

Hopefully I did this right.

Range Nazis were in full force today and my pistol range was flooded, so I couldn't go from holster.

In order to 'fake it', I went from the ready resting on the table and I paused when the buzzer went off before I pressed out.

HKP30L
    50 rounds fired.

I started cold at 5yds and I sucked the first 20+ rounds fired-I just couldn't seem to get 3 clean sets in a row. I was mostly an inch too high or low on the card. 2.35 was my fastest clean and I had plenty of slow misses

Finally, I got 3 clean runs in a row of 2.75, 2.53, 2.67.

I moved the target to 6 yds and I set my PAR for 3 seconds b/c my timer doesn't have 10ths, yet (android shot timer pro IPSC). As soon as I go to 6 yds, I nail it: 2.65, 2.44, 2.47 clean and then I figured I'd just keep going b/c I had loaded 10 in the mag and I shot a 3.04 and 2.83. Apparently, I peaked.

I moved the target to 7 yds and failed to hit 3 clean runs and I realize I am out of ammo

If I have time tomorrow, I'll run it back again.

User Tag List