Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: FAST coin # 15 and the advancement of pistol shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I'm pretty sure most of the 9mm comps work on the standard CZ barrel, including the KKM that goes on the Roland Special; the threads are 1/2-28 for both the KKM Glock 9mm barrels and the CZ barrels. The only issue would be whether or not the compensator matches the width of the slide.
    KKM comps are not standard threads......unless they changed things lately.

KKM bits are still enroute, so I shot the RMR'd G19 with and without the LW comp, along side an open gun. My results roughly mirror SLG's. The open gun is about the same amount faster again on splits on the same target, but not really any faster on transitions than the comp'd glock. I think most of the speed difference between the two comp'd guns is me. I can run the trigger much faster on the race gun and between the unfamiliar grip angle and grip size, it felt like I could grip much harder and get more control on the open gun.

Shot my Roland today back to back with my duty 17. I have been doing this once or twice a week for the last month or so, but I don't always write anything up.

With the Roland, on any target at any distance, I am at least as fast to the first shot, if not faster. I am always more consistent, that is, I have a higher percentage of hits every time. On index cards at 7 yards, I typically save .15 to a first shot hit vs. my G17. That equates to 1.20 with the Roland, and 1.35 with the 17. These are averages.

On things like Bill drills, I get much more centered hits, with less effort. Again, more consistency on target. I also shave a small amount of time on the splits and the first shot, enough that I can clean Gabe White's standards with the gun. Using my G17, I can clean all but the Bill Drill, which is just outside my ability to do with any consistency. This looks like 2.20 with the roland, and 2.35-2.40 with the 17.

The magwell definitely contributes to my ability to draw the gun fast. Normally I can't draw a 19 quite as fast as a 17, but the magwell makes them equal (afaict). I did get a mag stuck today though, and was unable to pull it out. With the Zevpro, there just isn't enough room to access a factory mag.

At 25 yards, bill drills on paper plates look like 3 secs, all hits. My G17...not quite there yet.

I really enjoy shooting the roland, unfortunately more than my 17. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Interesting stats. I admit that I am the limiting factor when it comes to a red dot as I am just not practiced enough with one. However I am going to make it a point early this year to correct that.

Shot my Roland today back to back with my duty 17. I have been doing this once or twice a week for the last month or so, but I don't always write anything up.

With the Roland, on any target at any distance, I am at least as fast to the first shot, if not faster. I am always more consistent, that is, I have a higher percentage of hits every time. On index cards at 7 yards, I typically save .15 to a first shot hit vs. my G17. That equates to 1.20 with the Roland, and 1.35 with the 17. These are averages.

On things like Bill drills, I get much more centered hits, with less effort. Again, more consistency on target. I also shave a small amount of time on the splits and the first shot, enough that I can clean Gabe White's standards with the gun. Using my G17, I can clean all but the Bill Drill, which is just outside my ability to do with any consistency. This looks like 2.20 with the roland, and 2.35-2.40 with the 17.

The magwell definitely contributes to my ability to draw the gun fast. Normally I can't draw a 19 quite as fast as a 17, but the magwell makes them equal (afaict). I did get a mag stuck today though, and was unable to pull it out. With the Zevpro, there just isn't enough room to access a factory mag.

At 25 yards, bill drills on paper plates look like 3 secs, all hits. My G17...not quite there yet.

How much of the performance improvement is the dot and how much is the comp?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    How much of the performance improvement is the dot and how much is the comp?
    I have not done any dot only shooting for the last month or so (some, but nothing I wrote down to reference). I would say that for me, the dot does more than the comp, but that is a ratio that likely changes from one type of target to the next.

I'm saying that based on my past performance with a dot. I've always found it to help, and the comp does too, but to a lesser extent. I am tempted to get a comp for a .40 and see how that goes.

I'd really like to hear how a comp'd G23 does.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Much like what SLG is describing above, as noted in the first post here (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....KM-compensator), testing otherwise identical RDS equipped G19's demonstrated that those with the KKM compensator were consistently faster to shoot--particularly at longer ranges, generally offered better accuracy, and had noticeably tighter groups.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Have you tried playing with the X400 again? I'm curious how the laser stacks up to the Roland.

The only thing on my SHOT-show Fairy List this year is a dead nuts reliable Surefire light/green-laser combo in an XC1 or better form factor, with a DG switch for bonus points

Many thanks for posting those results SLG. Very interesting!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List