Thread: Sig p229-1 Caliber X Change 9 to 40

Sig p229-1 Caliber X Change 9 to 40

Hi all, I have a question that I am hoping the community here can help with. I have a SIG p229-1 9mm (the 15-rd, made in NH) and a while back I acquired a .40 Caliber X Change kit for it. I do primarily shoot 9mm and am very fond of my 9mm p229. I would like to know, though, if simply putting the .40 slide assembly onto the frame essentially converts it into a genuine .40 p229, or if further parts changes in the frame would be needed. I guess what I would really like to know is if there are any reliability concerns should I for some reason convert my SIG exclusively to .40 and what I would need to do to fix them. So far the .40 slide works great at the range, but I've been hesitant so far to think of it as other than a range-only part. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    My understanding is that all the frames are the same, just the slide assembly is different. However someone who actually knows for sure will be along shortly.

Not sure about the P229-1 going from 9 to 40, but you may need to swap the locking block. To convert my legacy P229 40/357 to take a P228 upper, I had to swap the P228 locking block into my frame.

Sorry I don't have the full answer, but it's atleast something specific you can do a google search to verify if the swap is needed or not.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-28-2016 at 11:43 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    The P229-1 9mm is a 40/357 frame. If you add the 40 Cal upper/complete slight assembly you are good to go.

Previously, there were two different frame sizes for the P229, the 40/357 frame and the 9 mm frame which took the 13 round P228 magazines.

P229 – one was introduced for the 9 mm so SIG could use a single frame size.

There are some differences between the older German made guns and the older American-made guns but it's really outside the scope of your question.

Yes, I knew that the p229-1 frame is the same as the .40/.357, but I was more wondering about the internals. For example, I dont know if there are notable differences in the ejector, springs etc that would be beefed up to better handle .40. Thanks for all the input so far!

PS Oh, and ordinarily I would be all about the suggestion to Google it but I've come up empty. The only thing Ive found is some old references to the X Change kits being intended for the .22lr guns only (and a zillion results for going from .40 to 9). Given that the p229-1 frame is built for .40, that didn't seem right to me.
    Last edited by AO20; 11-29-2016 at 06:53 AM.

The P229 9mm & 40S&W ejectors are the same part number; no worry there.

You should be able to remove your 9mm slide and simply replace it with the 40 slide. All other parts will interchange.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AO20 View Post
    Yes, I knew that the p229-1 frame is the same as the .40/.357, but I was more wondering about the internals. For example, I dont know if there are notable differences in the ejector, springs etc that would be beefed up to better handle .40. Thanks for all the input so far!

PS Oh, and ordinarily I would be all about the suggestion to Google it but I've come up empty. The only thing Ive found is some old references to the X Change kits being intended for the .22lr guns only (and a zillion results for going from .40 to 9). Given that the p229-1 frame is built for .40, that didn't seem right to me.
    The P229 was designed from the ground up as a .40. It was adapted to 9mm to increase longevity bs the P 228.

Internals on your 229-1 frame are the same - only spring difference between the 9 and 40 is the recoil spring.

Over the years there have been variations of the frames and locking blocks but SIG is trying to move to as many common parts as possible as a cost saving measure. Heck there are even holster fit issues between different generations of DIGS.

Great news - thank you all!

User Tag List