Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger "M4 Clone" AR556 - feedback?

Site Supporter

Ruger "M4 Clone" AR556 - feedback?

I have an opportunity to acquire a LNIB Ruger AR556 for an attractive deal (trade). Not looking for another AR but seems to be a favorable deal. I did a quick search of internet reviews and they seem positive. Does anyone have experience with the Ruger "M4 clone" AR556 - this is a basic DI rifle; specifically not the higher prices piston rifles.

LGS I work in had two (DI, 700ish bucks) come in. The first one looked fine, staking on the crown nut and gas key looked good. Second (and newest) had (IMHO) inadequate staking of the gas key and the crown nut was untouched. No information about actually shooting the rifles, yet.

There are several non-standard parts centered around the barrel. The delta ring assembly is entirely different and plastic. FSB is wierd and not taper pinned. If you just want a semi-auto 5.56 that takes AR mags, maybe. If you want it as a base to build on, pass.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the feedback! I will pass.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    The delta ring assembly is entirely different and plastic.
    I knew about the non-standard parts, but not this, which is a good data point. Thanks.
    Last edited by Willard; 11-30-2016 at 12:44 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    LGS I work in had two (DI, 700ish bucks) come in. The first one looked fine, staking on the crown nut and gas key looked good. Second (and newest) had (IMHO) inadequate staking of the gas key and the crown nut was untouched. No information about actually shooting the rifles, yet.
    What's a crown nut? Do you mean the castle nut (or more properly, the receiver extension nut)?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I knew about the non-standard parts, but not this, which is a good data point. Thanks.
    Bought one on a lark recently.

Delta ring is a twist-off type,which Ruger unfortunately doesn't prominently highlight in the papers the rifle comes with. Instead of mucking about with elbow grease and tools to change forends, the user need only twist the delta ring counterclockwise by hand and the forend comes off. Repeat in reverse for reinstallation. No tools or embarrassing antics with the mil spec slip ring.

Nothing's fallen off or broken in the statistically meaningless count of 200 rounds so far. Trigger pull is heavy ,but at this price point you're not getting Geissle quality at the OEM level. One could do much worse for a basic AR,so long as one isn't kicking in doors with it on the regular. In which case you and your teams life is worth a 6920 Colt.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 11-30-2016 at 08:45 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Do you mean the castle nut (or more properly, the receiver extension nut)?
    Yup. Where's Pat when you've earned a Moosecock?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    What's a crown nut? Do you mean the castle nut (or more properly, the receiver extension nut)?
    I thought the crown nut was the Governor of New York state? You know, whatshisname.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I thought the crown nut was the Governor of New York state? You know, whatshisname.
    You mean FUAC.

User Tag List