Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako TRG-22

Sako TRG-22

Who has one or has experience with one? Plenty on the net about excellent accuracy. I assume the action and trigger are up to usual Sako standards; how adjustable/comfortable is that stock?

Check out Lost River's post history. I expect he will soon be by to make us jealous with gorgeous pics and knowledge.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I do not own a trg, but have shot them a fair bit, and almost bought one instead of my AI, if that tells you anything.

They are very nice, and very capable. The stock comes in a couple of flavors, and I found all of them to be just fine for me. Trigger as well. Pretty adjustable too.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I do not own a trg, but have shot them a fair bit, and almost bought one instead of my AI, if that tells you anything.

They are very nice, and very capable. The stock comes in a couple of flavors, and I found all of them to be just fine for me. Trigger as well. Pretty adjustable too.
    Which AI?

I went with a AE MKIII

Best of all world's for me. Never liked the other AE's, but the 3 does everything I could ask.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Check out Lost River's post history. I expect he will soon be by to make us jealous with gorgeous pics and knowledge.
    I don't know how knowledgeable I am in regards to them, but the TRG is a favorite.

They shoot rather well, and are not picky. If you are not getting .5 MOA with handloads, odds are it is not the gun that is the issue.

I posted the target pic below not too long ago, in reference to T3s. These loads were made for my T3, but I wanted to see how they would perform in the TRG. It seemed the the TRG did not mind such a short COAL designed for another rifle(s).

The major issue I have with the TRG series and SAKOs in general is the price of magazines. AI mags are expensive enough, but TRG mags make AIs look like a bargain.

The stock fit is quite nice (for me). I played with various height combos. That said, recommending a rifle based on how a stock fits can be tough, as everybody holds and runs guns differently.

I ended up taking out my spacer, and just running a rifle purse on the buttstock. It put my head in the proper position, and the soft material against the cheekbone is an added benefit.

The TRG is "that one gun" in the target rifle category, that would be the very last to ever be sold.

LR, I'm interested in your choice of scope, bipod and brake?

The scope is a Nightforce 5.5-22x56, MOA/MOA. I set up an almost identical gun for my dad (his is a 42), with the same scope. He wanted to learn how to spin turrets, so I standardized scopes. That said, if doing it over, I would opt for mil/mil, and am in the very slow process of converting my primary guns to mil reticles. That said, it really is not too hard to switch back and forth between the 2 systems (for me).

The brake is a factory SAKO. Decent brake, and I wanted a factory one, but there are better brakes out there. My heavy .300 wm wears an APA Fat Bastard brake, and it is extremely effective. The bipod is a swivel version of a Harris. I know some don't like them, but I have had zero issues with them.

Behind the bipod I run a track plate, which is used when shooting over fairly flat surfaces, over packs, and other things. Its wider footprint helps out a fair amount.

The sling is from an M240B. Nice and wide, and helps distribute the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Who has one or has experience with one? Plenty on the net about excellent accuracy. I assume the action and trigger are up to usual Sako standards; how adjustable/comfortable is that stock?
    I have two TRGs, both TRG-22s. One with the 26" barrel, one with the 20" one. They are very good rifles, over-engineered for the task. Accuracy is good, not up to benchrest standards, but very good nonetheless. Pretty easy to find a handload that will shoot 1/2" averages all day long. I handload for the 155 Sierra TMK, the 178 Hornady AMAX and the 175 Sierra TMK. I've used RL-15/N203B and Varget powder. Winchester brass and Lapua Brass are my favorites.

The stock is a bit unconventional. Uses an aluminum chassis to bed the action, and to connect the two halves (front and rear) of the stock together. I wish the fore end was a few inches longer and closer to the barrel (shallower). Nice accessory rail on the fore end, and the sling clips are easily converted to flush swivel cups. The cheekpiece is a bit narrow as LostRiver discussed, and I like his solution. The trigger is arguable the best tactical trigger you can find. There are better match triggers out there, but the TRG trigger is over-engineered for tough and reliable. Yet is still shoots as a really nice two-stage, I like it. The firing pit hits with authority. Target shooters might complain that it unnecessarily vibrates the gun during the shooting cycle compared to a BR (BAT, Hall, Kelbly, etc...) action. But for a Finnish bolt gun that needs to work in all arctic weather and temperature conditions, it is superb.

I agree that the magazines are stupid expensive. If you can find them for under $200 you are doing well. But they are 10 rounds in the space of a 5-round AI mag, they are very reliable, and they can handle handloads out to 2.950" which is better than the 2.850" of and AI mag, or 2.800" of a Magpul PRS magazine.

What would I change?

More calibers. I spoke with EuroOptic and now they have TRG-22s in 6.5 Creedmoor. Very tempting. The 308Win is a bit limited in range. I like 6.5 better. If Sako sold a 6.5x55 in a TRG-22 or TRG-42, I would be all over it.

Lower priced accessories. The magazines, bipod, scope mount, backup sights and other accessories are stupid expensive. The folding stock is expensive too.

If you want an accurate, tough, reliable factory tactical rifle, the TRG is hard to beat.

If you just want a hunting rifle, for the money the Tikka T3/T3X is tough to beat.

User Tag List