View Poll Results: Does the bullet or the armor win?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bullet wins

2 50.00%
  • Armor wins

0 0%
  • Stopped, but back face signature fail

2 50.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can a polyethylene plate stop M855?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I know I'm not the good Doctor, but I'd check out his post from 2014 if you haven't seen it:

Good Rifle Plate Options for LEO

I'm not sure how current that post is, given the release of so many steel level 3 "+" plates rated by the manufacturer for M193 and M855. Lots of videos online of them being shot and successfully defeating these 5.56 rounds, so it'd be nice to have some legit 3rd party testing on these new plates in particular.
    I read that before.

I was asking Doc what he would recommend.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I have never heard of these poly plates. Guess I haven't been keeping up on things for a while. What is the feeling on these for a home defense carrier? I keep a Level III vest with SAPI plates near my bed. I have had a titanium plate put in my neck and truthfully the carrier is pretty unbearable. These sound like they may be the ticket. Any thoughts from those with experience on these? Any reasonable sources?
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

They can be rather expensive. The guy who sent me this plate for testing sells surplus armor. I don't know if I'm allowed to post his contact info.

Don't forget about the yaw issues associated with 5.56 mm ball round impact at closer ranges, as this can greatly effect not only initial upset depth in tissue, but armor penetration ability.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

God, the question has the same answer for any material--if it is thick enough.
    Now, if they mold Kevlar(r) fabric into the PE plate...

Kevlar (aramid) is UHMWPE, isn't it?

>Kevlar (aramid) is UHMWPE, isn't it?
    NO, polyethylene is really long chain paraffin wax, for all intents and purposes. It is just [R3C-CH2-CH2-CH2]n, where R3 could be simply a carboxyl group.
    Kevalr is formed by reacting p-phenylenediamine (NH2-C6H4-NH2) with terephthaloyl chloride (ClO-C6H4-OCl), where the C6H4 is a benzene ring with the reactive "bits" on opposite sides (para position). This makes for a high-temperature resistant aromatic polyamide fiber of formula [-CO-C6H4-CO-NH-C6H4-NH-]n
    Spectra UHMWPE fibers are used for some composites and fishing lines.

User Tag List