View Poll Results: Does the bullet or the armor win?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bullet wins

2 50.00%
  • Armor wins

0 0%
  • Stopped, but back face signature fail

2 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a polyethylene plate stop M855?

Can a polyethylene plate stop M855?

https://youtu.be/_ZurfKCfEZE

Just as steel plates are known for their vulnerability to M193, UHMWPE plates are known for their vulnerability to M855. I wanted to find out if that was true for shorter barrels or longer distances so I fired M855 at this surplus UHMWPE plate from a 14.5" carbine. The velocity was approximately 3,000 fps. So what do you predict? Please note this is regular M855, not the new magical unicorn EPR.

With M193 and steel plates, we have seen underlying soft armor sometimes stop projectiles which defeated the plate; the same can be seen with M855 and compressed PE armor. The problem is that we cannot count on the badguy to use a shorter barrel; what if they have a 16" or longer barrel? For those reasons, steel armor is not wise in areas where M193 is common and compressed PE armor is not a good choice where M855 is prevalent--neither is generally successful against the newer M855A1. For those reasons, we cannot recommend steel or compressed PE plates for CONUS LE use.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Thank you, sir. Your input is always appreciated.

Given their weight with some plates coming in at 2lbs or less depending on size, seems to me like PE plates are a stellar option if you're in an environment where you're only getting shot at with SKSs, AK47s, FALs, and Lee Enfields.

The plates I wear both domestically and on overseas trips are twice as heavy so it gets a little tiring at 12 hours + of continuous wear. Not too bad......I feel like Level 4 plates for 2 hours is just as bad. They stop a lot more than 7.62x39 though, so they're definitely worth it in my mind given how 5.56 is virtually everywhere given various Western military aid/surplus sales.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-28-2016 at 03:15 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    With M193 and steel plates, we have seen underlying soft armor sometimes stop projectiles which defeated the plate; the same can be seen with M855 and compressed PE armor. The problem is that we cannot count on the badguy to use a shorter barrel; what if they have a 16" or longer barrel? For those reasons, steel armor is not wise in areas where M193 is common and compressed PE armor is not a good choice where M855 is prevalent--neither is generally successful against the newer M855A1. For those reasons, we cannot recommend steel or compressed PE plates for CONUS LE use.
    What is the recommended plate?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    ... They stop a lot more than 7.62x39 though, so they're definitely worth it in my mind given how 5.56 is virtually everywhere given various Western military aid/surplus sales.
    And vast numbers being taken by isis from Iraqi .mil and police.

Doctor Roberts,

Do you know if the AMI Tac3S works against the M855A1?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    What is the recommended plate?
    I know I'm not the good Doctor, but I'd check out his post from 2014 if you haven't seen it:

Good Rifle Plate Options for LEO

I'm not sure how current that post is, given the release of so many steel level 3 "+" plates rated by the manufacturer for M193 and M855. Lots of videos online of them being shot and successfully defeating these 5.56 rounds, so it'd be nice to have some legit 3rd party testing on these new plates in particular.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

"Do you know if the AMI Tac3S works against the M855A1?"
    Depends on velocity.
    Last edited by DocGKR; 12-10-2016 at 08:30 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Depends on velocity.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by DocGKR; 12-10-2016 at 08:31 PM.

User Tag List