Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Book Review: "The Low Light Fight" - by Micheal Seeklander

When my department approved Sigs in the late 2000s, I started carrying a P226R with an Insight WX150 (I think) WML. It had a strobe feature. I have also spent an ungodly amount of money on many many lights. I think I'm over 80 flashlights as of my last count. Many of those lights have a strobe feature but most require either two hands to rotate the bezel or a ring, press a button on the light body, or cycle through multiple modes to obtain the strobe function. None of these are ideal. There are a couple standouts that work pretty good.

The Fenix TA30 (pretty much obsolete now) had a mode ring that could be set for strobe for immediate access with a fairly quick (albiet two-handed) switch to normal light options. I have a 4Sevens Maelstrom and Quark which both offer programming to obtain strobe right off the bat or with a quick bezel twist. This works really well also... but the problem is that to have strobe available, the regular bright light option isn't... and that's a big problem to me.

The best light on the market right now for strobe (in my opinion) is the Klarus. I have one of the larger versions... I want to say the XT11, but I'm not sure. I gave my wife the smaller XC1 (or whatever they call it). Now other Chinese manufacturers (Klarus is Chinese made as well) are copying it. Long story short... There are two switch buttons on the tail-cap. The larger one controls normal light output and the other is strobe. If constant-on is activated, the strobe button functions as a mode-switching button.

So that's gear.

I used the strobe on my WML mainly for those times when searching a structure when I had to enter say a bathroom with a bath or shower curtain closed... I'd hit the strobe, quickly approach and pull the curtain aside, and check for bad guys. I have no idea if it made any difference, but I hoped it would make it harder for the suspect (if he was there, which he never was) to determine where I was or where I was coming from. I would disable the strobe function on any weapon light I'd use now.

I've done some training work with strobe regarding charging suspects and searching structures, but not enough to form a full understanding of where they fit in the tool box. I see a lot of people talk about the use of strobe in structures.. and force-on-force training in general, and not to bash that training (and this is not directed toward AMIS because I've never attended the training and would very much like to), but even with sims there are limits to the realism. Sims won't penetrate a wall. Many firearm's ammunition will. Much of what I've seen and practiced seems to work between some of the time and most of the time, but it doesn't work all of the time and when it doesn't work, the result isn't generally pretty. It also requires additional training to use correctly. Strobe can affect the user if not done right, and if we're talking about a finite amount of training time, this would mean taking time from other skills to learn how to use strobe correctly. At this time, because I don't have enough experience with it, because the technology is fairly complicated to access the strobe feature on most lights, and because I've seen it fail enough (often when used incorrectly or in the wrong situation) to not trust it's use exclusively over other techniques, I... at this time... would encourage a mastery of basic light techniques for those I train. That said, I think strobe may be like rifle (and pistol) optics. There is a period of technological and tactical development, and eventually I do see a place for it.

Further, if Craig Douglas has enough experience to recommend it to those he trains, I will certainly not argue with him. He knows what he's talking about and there's a reason people pay to train with him.

Site Supporter
    As for gear, have you looked at Streamlight's options? I currently use a ProTac-2L which is programmable for three modes of operation. Its default setting is 1st click - high, 2nd click - strobe, 3rd click - low. While I haven't tried to reprogram it because I don't see a need to, I believe you could reprogram it to utilize strobe first. With that said, I was messing around with it in its current configuration last night and could not get to strobe 100% of the time on demand. I can see where that could be a hindrance in a dynamic situation if you haven't worked through it in training.

It does seem, from your experience and the reviews I've read of AMIS, that a strobe is best utilized within structures.

I have several of the programmable Streamlights and I do really like them, but I generally program them to high only. They do not have an option for strobe first.

I've seen many people in training inadvertently activate the strobe function while trying to shoot. It is very distracting when one doesn't expect it and it makes it more difficult to perceive motion and distance because of the disorienting effect as well as the fact that there are gaps in visual perception.

All the newer ten tap programmable streamlights have the strobe function.

I posted about this year's ago, when I carried a g21+tlr1s led and I would strobe people constantly. It worked well enough that they usually showed me their hands.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by zml342 View Post
    As for gear, have you looked at Streamlight's options? I currently use a ProTac-2L which is programmable for three modes of operation. Its default setting is 1st click - high, 2nd click - strobe, 3rd click - low. While I haven't tried to reprogram it because I don't see a need to, I believe you could reprogram it to utilize strobe first. With that said, I was messing around with it in its current configuration last night and could not get to strobe 100% of the time on demand. I can see where that could be a hindrance in a dynamic situation if you haven't worked through it in training.

It does seem, from your experience and the reviews I've read of AMIS, that a strobe is best utilized within structures.

Just to add to the Streamlight plusses: they carry a lifetime warranty and are made in Eaglesville, Pa.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Just to add to the Streamlight plusses: they carry a lifetime warranty and are made in Eaglesville, Pa.

Yup, replying to my own post 'cause I waited too long to edit it. Some of the Streamlights are made in China - was just at my FFL and checked them out.

Good book. I recommend it. I especially liked the discussion of tradeoffs in light technique for shooting, searching, and ECQC-type situations. It was worth the price to me for that alone. That said, $18 is steep for a thin 90 page book with a lot of typos and poor quality photos.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Anyone want to part with theirs after reading it for $10?

I'm keeping mine for reference. I'm going to run the drills in the back and re-read it with some highlights and notes.

User Tag List