Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite plate carrier?

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    I'm looking for a dedicated carrier to wear stand alone for extended periods. Needs to carry 2-3 mags, a radio, 2-3 bangs and a smaller hydration carrier.
    Extended periods?

I'd invest in a top tier one.

Crye, First Spear, Tyr Tactical, Velocity Systems, and SKD on the cheapest of those.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I have a TYR GPC in the classifieds if you choose to go that route. Good carrier; I switched to a Banshee - which pairs well with a belt setup and has fastex by the collarbone for a quick-release - leaving the GPC largely unused. It's lightweight, rides well, and the interior mesh does well in the heat.

I'm looking for a dedicated carrier to wear stand alone for extended periods. Needs to carry 2-3 mags, a radio, 2-3 bangs and a smaller hydration carrier.
    I think a SKD Pig would be worth looking at.

I did the Crossfit Murph workout in it and I didn't get chafed up too badly, and even though I wore it pretty high I didn't popped in the throat or chin with the top edge of the plate. The padding in the back didn't help much with airflow, but seemed to create enough space to help take some the kidney jabbing out of the bottom corners of the plate.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Do you have a need to switch your loadout on the fly (going slick>heavy, breacher>spotter, warrant>surveillance, whatever), or will you be okay with everything strapped down "permanently" on the MOLLE whenever you don the carrier?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

For throw on over uniform/soft armor, I have a Ferro Concepts Slickster.

For K9 call outs/while at training throw and go, I have a Velocity Systems Scarab LT. I was able to get the whole deal with extra c-bunds and zip on pack. I also put a Mayflower/VS 7.62/5.56 triple placard GP on it.

Both very well made and comfortable. I have run SKD PIG and LBT6094 slick but have been happy with the VS and Ferro.

It will probably be set up the same way for most ops with the exception of the back. I'd like to have the option to quickly remove the hydration carrier/backpack for longer duration mounted operations(sitting in a vehicle for extended periods). This is what draws me towards the carriers with the zip off back panel although I'm not sure if I completely trust the zipper thing. Leaning toward the Crye JPC 2.0 for this reason and because it's light. Just worried that JPC won't carry radio, hydration, 3 mags, and a couple other little things with the comfort that the larger rigs would.
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 11-29-2016 at 10:17 AM.

It will probably be set up the same way for most ops with the exception of the back. I'd like to have the option to quickly remove the hydration carrier/backpack for longer duration mounted operations(sitting in a vehicle for extended periods). This is what draws me towards the carriers with the zip off back panel although I'm not sure if I completely trust the zipper thing. Leaning toward the Crye JPC 2.0 for this reason and because it's light. Just worried that JPC won't carry radio, hydration, 3 mags, and a couple other little things with the comfort that the larger rigs would.
    I wear soft armor under my jpc. Jpc carries between 2 and 5 rifle mags, depending on mission. Radio, trauma kit, gp pouch and 3 bangs. Perfectly comfortable for long days and nights.

I prefer to wear a backpack with a bladder, or a pack with canteens, dep3nding on what I need. I don't like hydration attached to the pc.
    Last edited by SLG; 11-29-2016 at 10:55 AM.

I'm a big dude 6'5 350# and needed 11x14 plates so was limited somewhat, I came across HSGI and have been very happy so far. I purchased the carrier, shoulder pads, blowout kit and 2x double tacos (AR/Pistol) in 2012 and it has held up really well. I leave the left side clipped all the time so I can just throw it on and clip the right side. I haven't had any durability issues and it is plenty comfortable for my uses (worn on pergun/high risk calls). I keep it in a SKD armor bag and that has done a good job of protecting the plates and keeping all my gear in one spot. I also have a helmet and drop leg med pouch in the armor bag so I can throw it all on at once.

The CamelBak ArmorBak allows you to easily attach or remove the bladder from the plate carrier, by using plastic buckles. I tried using a CamelBak MULE with my plate carrier, but it didn't really work very well, due to the shoulder straps not laying flat at all.

I personally have a Tyr PICO for overt plate carrier use (which for me basically means TEOTWAWKI, carbine class, or Instagram), should you have any questions about the Tyr stuff. I personally chose the PICO due to the X-Frame system, and piddling around my house with it on, the X-Frame system does seem to help place the weight on my waist more, without significantly hindering mobility. I also have a Blue Force Gear PLATEminus for if I need a minimalistic carrier.

Honestly, I would suggest getting plates first, then deciding which plate carrier, so that there won't be issues between your plates and PC in terms of sizing.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 11-29-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Sounds like the Crye or VS Scarab is what you're looking for due to zip off back panels. I really like my Scarab.

User Tag List