Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First concealed carry holster

Comp Tac C-TAC gets my vote, will allow you to play with depth and cant, while having the attachments off set, which will help w/ paranoia of printing.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Thanks!

I've not done a coupon or sale in over 8 years, other than the one time I did a Serpa trade-in. Use the code: soonisnow for $20 off this holster. Takes it closer to the Morrigan in price. I'll leave it up for at least a few days and will post before I yank it. If you're reading this and placed an order recently I'll adjust. (7 days for bookkeeping purposes)
    The coupon made it too good to say no! Apologies for ignoring your advice and not buying the Morrigan

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    Do you find it "easier" to sweep those around you as you draw the pistol from 4:30 and bring it to the front? How fast can you get a first shot from concealed?
    How fast can you? That's really all that matters.

Sweeping is an attention to detail issue normally, and not a position issue.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    Do you find it "easier" to sweep those around you as you draw the pistol from 4:30 and bring it to the front? How fast can you get a first shot from concealed?
    It's been a while since I've been on a timer from concealed (most of my practice and shooting is from OWB for USPSA these days), but subjectively I'd say that 4:30 is only marginally slower on the draw vs 3:00, and it conceals significantly better for me. TBH, in USPSA, I only run my OWB holster slightly forward of where my IWB one sits anyway. I'm not necessarily recommending 4:30 as the "best way" so much as saying that your logic for excluding it from your options has some flaws. On some level, if you put in the practice to really ingrain the safety stuff and it works for you for comfort and concealment, AIWB is probably pretty hard to beat.

Hiro,

With that coupon, I'd just get the DSG and add on the stuff to set up for aiwb as well, so you can try both. That's the beauty of a design like Toms current model. All you need is a claw and 5 minutes with a screwdriver to change the rig dramatically.

Get softloops AND a metal clip. They are both great, but you will find one is your preference but the other us always a nice option to have.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    Hiro,

With that coupon, I'd just get the DSG and add on the stuff to set up for aiwb as well, so you can try both. That's the beauty of a design like Toms current model. All you need is a claw and 5 minutes with a screwdriver to change the rig dramatically.

Get softloops AND a metal clip. They are both great, but you will find one is your preference but the other us always a nice option to have.
    That's what I did, hopefully I'll be able to answer most of my own questions!

Site Supporter
    Good choice re: polymer. Some leather IWB holsters add significant thickness to the overall package that needs to be concealed.

I prefer to carry at 3:30, which is far enough back to take advantage of a natural hollow without being far enough back to print when bending at the waist.

You want the gun to sit as low as possible while still allowing a full firing grip. The higher it sits, the more it will separate from your body and print whenever you bend at the waist.

I prefer a cant of 5-10 degrees. A little cant keeps the end of the grip from printing. Too much makes the gun harder to grab and creates different printing issues. 15 degrees isn't bad, but you do not want 20 degrees.

I prefer a tension screw.

Your belt attachment should match the width of your belt. Pick a width, and standardize on that. All of my gear has 1 1/4 inch belt loops because that is the size belt I wear.

A rigid belt loop has very little that can go wrong. Soft loops are the most popular but can come unsnapped. Clips must be chosen carefully, and some are much better than others.

A Wilderness Frequent Flyer is a very nice belt. If you want leather, it should be double thickness, and offer 3/4 inch spacing between the holes. 1 inch spacing does not provide as precise a fit, and fit is as important as rigidity for concealment.

Magazine pouches and light pouches should be selected to take up as little belt real estate as possible. Kramer and Blade Tech both make good double magazine pouches. Custom Carry Concepts makes a good light pouch, as does Comp Tac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

To any question that begins with "What do you recommend for . . ." the answer is almost always "what the big agencies do". They have the expertise, the time and the money to do the testing. Theirs is almost always the best general purpose solution, in that the agency doesn't know in advance what specific purpose the item will be put to, so usually they decide on something that can do most likely things pretty well. Pistol? Glock 9mm. Carbine? Colt 6920. Holster? Discover what the local undercover guys use and buy that. Training? Focus on close / fast / accurate. Court? Learn how to articulate a credible justification for the actions you took. The verb is "Learn". Articulatable justification is not intuitive. Take classes.

You are almost guaranteed to NOT initially buy what you will ultimately carry. The point is not to leap right over the learning curve. No one does that: we all eventually wind up with the same box of holsters. There is no helping it. Copying the big guys is the default solution to simply get a new person off to a reasonable start.

There's a famous Bruce Lee quote: "Before I learned the art, a punch was just a punch, and a kick, just a kick. After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick, no longer a kick. Now that I understand the art, a punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick." That's pretty much how it is regardless of the field. Going into it, a punch is just a punch. At the end, a punch is just a punch. It's what comes between that makes all the difference. What comes between is the Art.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Relying on the holster choices of local undercover cops is unlikely to produce a wise choice for the OP. Unless he really WANTS a Serpa or Desantis pancake rig......and those are likely the good choices. Fobus and gun-show nylon are in the mix, too. Our own guys are issued Safariland ALS holsters. Good rig, but hardly concealable.

Okay. In the fall and winter I carry a G17 in a Raven Eidolon. It looks a bit bulky, but I don't find it an issue for AIWB. I only use on clip on the right (trigger guard side). The clip over the trigger guard works better to help turn the but of the gun into the waist vs the clip over the body of the gun like the Dark Star has. I ran an Alabama Clipper holster prior to this and the but of the 17 really stuck out. The belt claw helps tremendously with any design though and may make clip placement moot. Can't speak to that as I have had one in that combination.

As far as being "new" and not as safe, I have to say that's purely on a case by case basis. My wife has just started carrying AIWB (some of the time) and is incredibly safety conscious as she has not gotten comfortable and complacent as many of us do after a while.

User Tag List