Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a 1911

Site Supporter

Help me pick a 1911

A little background:
    -bought my first 1911(colt 1991) in 1995 when I was 15
    -fast forward 15 years I was at the point of full on addicted owning 1911s from every major semi custom, ~15 total
    -9mm plastic epiphany occurs, liquidate entire inventory sans ammo/mags for plastic Austrian pistols
    -1911 itch starts back up about 10 months ago, decide on happy medium: DW Valkyrie in 9mm
    -1911 threads begin to pop up on pf.com reignite old flame for big holes in paper targets

I think I'm over paying 2k+ on semis so here is a brief list I've come up with:

-colt ccu $1400- does colt still fit the grip and thumb safety loose?
    -sa lipsey $1400 combat smooth operator - I think I read a few issues with the 9mm version, has anyone heard anything on the 45
    -les Baer utc $1850 - other than the high price and lack of rail, I can't find many negatives on this one
    -DW valor $1750- seems the thumb safety on my Valkyrie is a little sharp and stick, again 2nd highest price

I am a huge colt fan boy but back when I was really into colt I pretty much sent each one away to get "right", I'd rather not do that this time. I'm currently leaning towards the SA.

Yours thoughts on a 1911 pistol that will see most of its time just on the range and not on my person?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I've handled a few of Colt's recent production guns. I wouldn't classify the fit of the grip and thumb safety as "loose". Not as good as my CQB, but not "loose" either.
    3/15/2016

Have you watched Caleb's recent series on 1911's?

Site Supporter
    I have a SA TRP that I'm very happy with.

Other than two issues with a single Wilson Magazine (none with the other); I'm about 420~ rounds of headache free shooting. It's a lot of fun to shoot and very accurate. They did away with the lock in the mainspring housing on mine as well.

God Bless,

Brandon

45 or 9mm?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Of the guns on your list, I've owned the Valor and the Les Baer UTC.

The Baer had serious issues, Baer customer service was awful, and it never did run right. I've never had any issues with any of my DW's, and I always recommend them to anyone looking for a 1911 less than $2000.

The thumb safety on my 9mm Valkyrie wasn't that great either, but its been fine on all my other DW's.
    Last edited by TC215; 11-27-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Site Supporter
    Any thought to the TRP or are you looking for a 9mm?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have been real happy with the Dan Wesson guns I've tested. To the point that if someone wants a 1911 under 2,000 bucks, I have zero qualms recommending one.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Any thought to the TRP or are you looking for a 9mm?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Ejector on my TRP came unglued in under 1,800 rounds. It's at the mothership getting pinned now. Not a huge deal breaker but it is an annoyance.
    Shoot more, post less...

If I ever buy another 1911 that isn't a full house gun, it will almost certainly be a DW.

Their custom shop will take care of you if you want to build something a little different or just get a different part, etc.

I've been checking out the Colts that come through our local stores and they generally seem very solid. Fitment is good. Edges are too damned sharp. If you want to have a great base for $500-1000 of work, a modern Colt is excellent. If you don't want to deal with the hassle, I get the DW and have their CS work over anything you want done in house before they send it your way.

User Tag List