20 57.14%
  • .38 Super

12 34.29%
  • Freaking hipster...

3 8.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 1911 Dilemma- 9mm or .38 Super

New 1911 Dilemma- 9mm or .38 Super

I've decided to get a Dan Wesson Guardian this summer.
    Now the question is- 9mm, or .38 Super?

Pros & cons 9mm:
    +the cheaper ammo option
    -potential of playing the magazine game
    +low recoil (I've got problems in my left wrist)
    -more potential problems with full size guns

Pros & cons .38 Super:
    -fewer ammo options (though I'm planning on also getting into reloading)
    +more general reliability
    +"Classic" appeal
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I'd go 9mm and use Wilson and Metalform mags.

I'm seeing less mag related problems with 9 than 45 as I'm not spreading feedlips, I think due to the lighter round stack.

38 Super is annoying with the semi rim and unless you want to shoot Águila FMJ you're gonna be reloading. Which is ridiculous in itself.

Site Supporter
    If you want to shoot it a lot and/or take advantage of all the good defensive ammo options available, get the 9mm.

If you just really want a .38 Super for the coolness factor then do that. Also, recoil with .38 Super in a 1911 really isn't anything to worry about. If it's about nostalgia, why not get a Colt Government Model?

The 9mm probably checks more boxes.

If you do end up getting a Dan Wesson, pay attention to and follow their recommended break-in procedure. I'm normally in the camp that thinks guns shouldn't require a break-in period but Dan Wesson is pretty adamant about following theirs -- especially for stainless guns.

Site Supporter
    I voted 38 Super but I can’t really defend the choice as practical.

If you already reload (going in knowing this is an expensive round to even reload because of the oddball brass and bullets) and you want a neat, classic cartridge go 38 Super. Otherwise just go 9mm and be done with it. Truth is if you are going to carry it you’ll have to reload to get defensive rounds equal to the most modern 9mm offerings anyway.

I almost wonder (if one didn’t mind the peer pressure) if 10mm factory loads (between .40 and full house 10mm) wouldn’t be a better option over .38 Super if one wanted greater capacity with a full length cartridge in a 1911. Ammo and components would be more plentiful and the weaker loads shouldn’t be bad to shoot.

Isn't it possible to shoot 38 super and 9mm out of the same gun so long as barrel and magazines are changed?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Kinda. 9mm really does better with a longer ejector and getting the extractor right is a challenge.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Isn't it possible to shoot 38 super and 9mm out of the same gun so long as barrel and magazines are changed?
    In general, yes. I had a Colt 1911 that I did just that - I had three barrels: traditional 9mm, 38 Super, 9mm "long" throated for 9mm loaded to 38 Super length.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps54 View Post
    I voted 38 Super but I can’t really defend the choice as practical.

If you already reload (going in knowing this is an expensive round to even reload because of the oddball brass and bullets) and you want a neat, classic cartridge go 38 Super. Otherwise just go 9mm and be done with it. Truth is if you are going to carry it you’ll have to reload to get defensive rounds equal to the most modern 9mm offerings anyway.

I almost wonder (if one didn’t mind the peer pressure) if 10mm factory loads (between .40 and full house 10mm) wouldn’t be a better option over .38 Super if one wanted greater capacity with a full length cartridge in a 1911. Ammo and components would be more plentiful and the weaker loads shouldn’t be bad to shoot.
    I went with .38 Stupid too. Brass is definitely more expensive since 9x19 brass is all but free for the picking for most of us who shoot at public ranges. My guess is that the same barrel blanks are used for 9x19 and .38 Super and just the chambers are different, so the bullets are the same.

I'm down to one 1911 and I still have it because everyone needs to have one. But I go through spells where I get a hankerin' for a 5" in .38 Super, to be loaded with either 150-grain LSWCs or 160-grain RNLs to ~175 PF...just because.

Purpose?

Fun gun / game gun - 9mm

Defense gun - .38 super

Perfect world - 9x23.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Purpose?

Fun gun / game gun - 9mm

Defense gun - .38 super

Perfect world - 9x23.
    Defensive gun that will be shot a lot, and be used for games.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List