Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Took the "Intro to IDPA" class today

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    IDPA is very much alive and well. And, last time I checked old people had a right to defend themselves. And, last time I checked, it was really rude and mean to make fun of old people. And, last time I checked, people are free to wear whatever they want to shooting matches or elsewhere.
    Seems like it is YOU who needs to wise up to modern culture.
    Cody
    Well, I'm 69 so I would make fun of old people only in the most self-deprecating manner. I am not so old I can't learn valuable lessons, however, like don't start a tongue-in-cheek thread in a forum filled with Deadly Serious Shooters.
    "Swing your leaders wide old man!"

Site Supporter
    I have now started to carry a fault line disguised as cane. When attacked I will drop it in front of me. Thus, my IDPA practice will transfer to the streets and I will not be killed. Now I am sure that standing behind the fault cane but even if out in the open, I will be protected from in coming rounds. In my squad, last week, two guys were in their 50's, the rest were 60's and 70's. Surprisingly, we seem to hit the targets pretty accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblie View Post
    Well, I'm 69 so I would make fun of old people only in the most self-deprecating manner. I am not so old I can't learn valuable lessons, however, like don't start a tongue-in-cheek thread in a forum filled with Deadly Serious Shooters.
    This is the IDPA section, not a joke section. You wanna make funny, go do it in the funny section please.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobblie View Post
    In our (my) defense, the internet is full of tards who would not be saying those things tongue-in-cheek and you used no emojis or font modifications so in internet speak it was serious.

Site Supporter
    Gee, do we have to drop telling jokes at the matches? At a recent match, the SO asked us during walk through whether his vest made him look fat? I said it did and his dresses did to. Not that there was anything wrong with that. Lighten up, Cody.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I have now started to carry a fault line disguised as cane. When attacked I will drop it in front of me. Thus, my IDPA practice will transfer to the streets and I will not be killed. Now I am sure that standing behind the fault cane but even if out in the open, I will be protected from in coming rounds. In my squad, last week, two guys were in their 50's, the rest were 60's and 70's. Surprisingly, we seem to hit the targets pretty accurately.
    I love the fault lines, and I have run over 60 IDPA matches in my career. While it's true there are no fault lines in real life, as a stage designer I can put fault lines in ways that exercise a shooter's position in ways I could not under the old rules. For instance, I can make the fault lines so acute that the shooter has no choice but to use far cover. I couldn't do that before. I can also make the fault line USPSA style AND use cleverly placed non-threats with layers of priority that require the shooter to really think about priority and risk to a non-threat. I couldn't do that before.

My only complaint is that people are looking at the ground when they arrive at a fault line, and that is not the best habit. On the other hand under the old rules I always looked at the ground when I was moving to a new position of cover because I had a mental picture where my foot needed to be, so I am not convinced it is much different.

In any case I really like fault lines in IDPA.
    Cody
    Last edited by cclaxton; 04-26-2017 at 09:26 AM.
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Gee, do we have to drop telling jokes at the matches? At a recent match, the SO asked us during walk through whether his vest made him look fat? I said it did and his dresses did to. Not that there was anything wrong with that. Lighten up, Cody.
    Glenn, There's a big difference between telling jokes at matches and making fun of IDPA on a serious handgun forum. The problem is that it attracts trolls, who will start to crap all over everything and everyone. Pistol Forum should do a better job of making this a professional forum and keeping out the trolls and the malicious behavior.
    Cody

Name:  111909946_medium_dc629f.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  18.9 KB
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    This is the IDPA section, not a joke section. You wanna make funny, go do it in the funny section please.
    Cody
    Because I Don't Practice Anymore is serious bidness.
    Probably best to get back to topic.

Fault lines: They are much easier from a gaming perspective. From a setting up the stage perspective, how are you seeing it being handled vs. an array of targets you're facing (ie say shooting at a line of three targets from one position)? Generally on my stages I've been putting them down the middle of the array of targets in such that you have the line is still real cover from the last target or two (but not so bad that you have to crazy lean out-if you've got issues and are setting up the stage those lines are going to be generous )

Since fault lines have been put in place I rarely see a cover call. I bet this is going to kill the SOs that do the Blade-tech competitions in Dallas-they love cover calls...
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 04-26-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Because I Don't Practice Anymore is serious bidness.
    Probably best to get back to topic.

Fault lines: They are much easier from a gaming perspective. From a setting up the stage perspective, how are you seeing it being handled vs. an array of targets you're facing (ie say shooting at a line of three targets from one position)? Generally on my stages I've been putting them down the middle of the array of targets in such that you have the line is still real cover from the last target or two (but not so bad that you have to crazy lean out-if you've got issues and are setting up the stage those lines are going to be generous )

Since fault lines have been put in place I rarely see a cover call. I bet this is going to kill the SOs that do the Blade-tech competitions in Dallas-they love cover calls...
    I have been trying all possible options, and I have done one stage where the shooter was really forced to lean hard from far cover (no wall to hold on to), and I have done other stages where it's almost like shooting in the open (but because there is a fault line, must slice the pie). And, I have done more traditional fault line placement as well. Because I am more into the self-defense aspects, I tend to use acute use of fault lines because I think most shooters crowd cover and need to practice far cover. They tell me it is hard...okay...that is the intended result I was looking for. Nobody complains about the fault lines at my matches.

I do get a few who complain that the fault lines are not raised/tactile. I do some of both. I think it is good to get used to both since sanctioned matches won't all have tactile fault lines. I use yellow polyethylene rope with large stakes to build them in the open and duct tape and wooden sticks indoors.

Cody

User Tag List