Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Took the "Intro to IDPA" class today

Indoors we use red tape generally. Outdoors I have seen, stakes, sprayed lines, and rope like you mentioned.

Interestingly, if you do the geometry, if you're trying to see less crowding cover, you would have to be more generous with the line.
    Look at this incredibly detailed diagram:
    T1

wall

S1

S2

S1, if leans out will be able to target more area in front, vs. S2, if both can only lean out the same distance. (use a ruler and 3mm for each to see). I've found this in practice as well (as I don't like to crowd barriers).
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 04-26-2017 at 11:39 AM.

Tactile fault lines for shooting positions solve a lot of issues. Learn from other shooting disciplines. And yes, I deal with indoor and outdoor setup. Visual guides like paint/rope/etc. are good for outlining shooting areas, not so good for tight shooting positions for shooters and SO/RO's.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

An example of a stage I ran last night. (P1 was part of another stage). The shooter started at P2, retreated while engaging then slice the pie to the left. Right side was there for re-engagement of first 4 targets. Staying back from barrels and difficult leaning was required.
    Mine are not all like this. But I have been putting 1-2 stages like this in every match. It's interesting to watch shooters start moving back to get to the inside targets...exactly what I was looking to achieve. Cody
    Name:  April 25 2017 NRA Ver2.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  25.2 KB
    Last edited by cclaxton; 04-26-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Ok I see more clearly now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    An example of a stage I ran last night. (P1 was part of another stage). The shooter started at P2, retreated while engaging then slice the pie to the left. Right side was there for re-engagement of first 4 targets. Staying back from barrels and difficult leaning was required.
    Mine are not all like this. But I have been putting 1-2 stages like this in every match. It's interesting to watch shooters start moving back to get to the inside targets...exactly what I was looking to achieve. Cody
    That was a good stage, Cody. Accomplished what was intended. I managed to get a PE before realizing how far back I needed to go to engage P1 targets and then bumped into the 600lb briefcase you made us carry :P... because I stupidly dropped it behind me. Definitely user error. Not easy but edumacational and well-designed. You're putting the new rules to good use.

I'm pretty pleased with the new fault line rules. As noted, stage designers can force folks into much more difficult shooting positions if desired. But more importantly, it takes away the subjective nature of the cover calls that so many (myself included) found objectionable. I think it's a notable step forward. And we should be thanking the "trolls" for making the 'issues' more well known.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    so you had to do 8 shots while retreating?

6.6.25 Stages with one or more cover positions will not present targets in the open requiring more than 6 shots while the shooter is out of cover. However, there may be more than one of these type engagements in a single stage.

also, the way the fault lines are drawn looks suspect:

6.3.E. Fault lines used to mark a PoC extend from the end of the physical objects used up range to the stage boundary to accommodate long-cover.

am i missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    so you had to do 8 shots while retreating?
    6.6.25 Stages with one or more cover positions will not present targets in the open requiring more than 6 shots while the shooter is out of cover. However, there may be more than one of these type engagements in a single stage. also, the way the fault lines are drawn looks suspect:
    6.3.E. Fault lines used to mark a PoC extend from the end of the physical objects used up range to the stage boundary to accommodate long-cover.
    am i missing something here?
    Actually the COF was that the shooter was only required to make 1 shot each while retreating, and could either go to cover to do the other 4 shots or take all 8 while retreating. That makes it legal.

Fault line rules also say:
    "3.6.3B: Physical objects used (wood, rope, barrels, walls), as Fault Lines, to delineate cover must start at the cover object (e.g. wall, barrel, etc.) and extend back away from cover in the up-range direction. The object used to mark the line must extend back away from the cover object at least 3 feet."
    and,
    6.3C. "Fault Lines must be placed in a manner which promotes the Principles of Shooting IDPA in Section 1.2
    6.3D. "Fault lines must outline the general boundary for each point of cover wherein a shooter may safely engage all available targets from that position as an option in shooting a stage."

The net effect of all these rules, and especially 6.3C allows Match Directors to design stages that encourage use of cover that "reflect self-defense principles" as addressed in section 1.2. Also, 1.2.2 F. "Shooting from behind cover is a basic premise of IDPA. Competitors will use all available cover in a CoF."

During our meetings with HQ, they wanted to provide more flexibility for MD's to design stages, but put more reliance on section 1.2 of the rulebook. That is EXACTLY what I am doing with this stage: Challenging shooters to use cover in a manner that requires use of cover that reflects self-defense principles (i.e.-far cover, more leaning, etc.)

What was the purpose of your post?...To try and catch me with an illegal stage? Why did you leave out the other relevant rules? What was your motivation?
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Herb tea, man. Drink it.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List