Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TX DPS Trooper and US Border Patrol Agent shot along the Rio Grande

Site Supporter

TX DPS Trooper and US Border Patrol Agent shot along the Rio Grande

Texas Department of Public Safety trooper, Border Patrol agent shot in Starr County

http://valleycentral.com/news/local/...n-starr-county

Original Story: A Texas Department of Public Safety trooper was shot Friday afternoon near Fronton, said Lt. Johnny Hernandez, a spokesman for the agency.

Troopers were monitoring armed individuals on an island in the Rio Grande between the United States and Mexico. The Tamaulipas state police approached the armed individuals and a firefight ensued. The Texas state trooper was shot in the center pelvic area.

It wasn't immediately clear whether the trooper was hit by a stray bullet or intentionally shot by someone involved in the firefight.
    Update: A U.S. Border Patrol agent was also struck by gunfire Friday in Starr County, but he was protected from serious injury by a ballistic vest.
    Name:  IMG_0874.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  31.8 KB

Holy cow, that would have been bad. I'm glad the PA was wearing a plate carrier.

My thoughts and prayers are with the wounded DPS Trooper.

Wow that is too close for comfort.

Hope all are ok, my thoughts and prayers go out every day to our LEOs.

No bueno. My thoughts are with these brave souls.

A tall order of whup-ass is called for if the cucarachas responsible can be identified.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'm sure they were not targeted, it's not like that's center mass shot placement.

#sarcasm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JM Campbell; 11-26-2016 at 10:19 AM.
    AKA: SkyLine1

So what is the ROE for Texas DPS and USBP, if they're taking incoming fire from across the border, are they allowed to return fire?

Before everyone gets excited, I am not asking what common sense dictates they should do, I'm curious as to what their administration states they're permitted to do.

Glad to see that the Border Patrol agent's plate carrier and magazine stopped the round. I wish the Texas Trooper would have been as lucky.

Talking to one of my best buddies who is in AZ, apparently the plate carriers are pool items that you have to sign out at each shift. Thing is, they're at his main station, not the out station 40 minutes away where everyone actually reports to work for muster and vehicles.....so nobody ever checks them out. Using a personal plate carrier is prohibited, and the 1 person he knew who did it was reprimanded.

Those poor bastards. Unbelievably bad management.

As for shooting across the border, he says there is no policy prohibiting them from defending themselves if the fire is coming from Mexico.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Shared plate carriers is an insane idea. The personal in PPE is not a group option. This policy is as stupid as shared boots or shared coats or shared gunbelts. The health impact alone would make the medical folks one hell of a petri dish to study for things like herpes gladitorium.

Site Supporter
    There are no prohibitions on returning fire across the border. The normal UOF policy and law applies.

In this case you had bad guys on an island in the middle of the river exchanging fire with Mexican officials.

Many federal agencies allow personally own firearms to 1° or another but I don't know of any that allow personally own body armor. The border patrol has the same issue with pool M4s in many places.

Another issue is many agencies do not issue properly sized plates. They just buy mediums for everybody.

The newer DHS contract body armor (KDH) has plate pockets built into the external soft body armor carriers. i'm just saying....

I'm glad to hear that there's no restriction as far as returning fire across the border into Mexico.

Shared plate carriers is a poor idea. Keeping the pool equipment in a location other than where the need is just stupid.

User Tag List