Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 92G Compact sight options

92G Compact sight options

I was at my LGS today and spotted a 92G Compact for a very good price. As prudence demands, I bought it and headed to the range. It's a real beauty, but the sights are a little off. I did the math on it, and it appears to be sighted in to be dead on at roughly 86 yards with a 15mph crosswind from the right. To verify that I wasn't going blind, I ran a group with my 229, which went right to POA.

So. What are my options for fixing this beast? As best I can tell, it has the .270" rear sight on it right now, and Wilson only makes taller ones. Since there is no way to adjust the front sight, should I just nickname this gun "Kentucky" and kind of guess where to hold it?

I was shooting at 25 yards, the pistol is pointing to where I was aiming.
    Name:  IMG_1180.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  27.1 KB

What kind of sight picture were you taking? Driving the dot or using the top of the sights?
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Top of the front sight, AKA sight picture #2.

In my experience, they usually shoot low (drive the Dir), and require a taller rear. I would drift that rear a bit left, try some 115/124, shoot again, and report back.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSabo40 View Post
    I was at my LGS today and spotted a 92G Compact for a very good price. As prudence demands, I bought it and headed to the range. It's a real beauty, but the sights are a little off. I did the math on it, and it appears to be sighted in to be dead on at roughly 86 yards with a 15mph crosswind from the right. To verify that I wasn't going blind, I ran a group with my 229, which went right to POA.

So. What are my options for fixing this beast? As best I can tell, it has the .270" rear sight on it right now, and Wilson only makes taller ones. Since there is no way to adjust the front sight, should I just nickname this gun "Kentucky" and kind of guess where to hold it?

I was shooting at 25 yards, the pistol is pointing to where I was aiming.
    Name:  IMG_1180.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  27.1 KB
    How experienced are you with the Beretta platform? Have you had a pizza slinger shoot the gun? Just asking because I know that for myself I will often see POI shifts when I bounce between platforms (this is where the one gun only gods kill a kitten) that I attribute to grip and how I choke the trigger. While they are both DA platforms the grip and trigger length of pull are quite different between the pistols an that *could* be all that is throwing you off.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 11-26-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Hmm, so many variables with POA/POI. I think GJM has the best advice so far.

I would also be using a smaller aiming point, like a B8 target for example, if I was really trying to dial in my gun at 25.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I don't have much experience with pizza guns aside from my time in the Marines/Army, and those all hit good enough for me to never miss on the qual's, but that's not saying much. I do experience minor POI issues when switching guns, like I will hit 1" to the left with my VP9 for the first few groups if I haven't shot it for a while. But nothing this drastic.

Per the advice, I'm headed back out today with some B8s.

Well the comp'd AR's doing mag dumps on either side of me at the indoor range made group shooting a bit of a challenge, but my results were about the same as before. I tried 115gr factory, 147 gr HSTs, and my standard 124gr reloads. All hit about the same spot. I brought along my G17 as a control. The pizza gun is significantly harder for me to get good hits with, but every group was about the same size in the same place. I fired 10, 10 shot groups trying to get a decent one to post to save me the embarrassment, but I finally gave up.

My sight pusher would not work with the strange levers on this pistol, so I haven't drifted the rear sight yet. I should be able to fix the windage once I get a vice, the elevation will be an issue though. Any ideas? File down a Wilson rear?
    Name:  IMG_1186.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  24.8 KBName:  IMG_1185.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  27.6 KB
    Last edited by DocSabo40; 11-26-2016 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Wrong photo

Did you ask anyone else to shoot the pistol just to see if they experience the same issue? Les and I shot one of my pizza guns high and right. His friend Chris shot it and was hitting dead on. We still have no idea what that was about...
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

I did not. I know exactly one other person in my area who knows the basics, and he was out of town.

User Tag List