Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 22lr Pistols: Field vs Target Models

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Well, my Ruger 22/45 is the only firearm in my safe that requires the use of a rubber mallet in the field stripping procedure. Per the manual. So while the field stripping procedure didn't dissuade me from purchasing one, given the choice I'd buy the MkIV.
    Havent fooled with the 22/45, but some of the standards Ive seen were very tight, and some not so bad. I wonder if the tight ones could be stoned a bit to deburr them? I think mine loosened some with use.

On some that were snug, using a loop of heavy harness thread to pull the lever out to release the housing worked OK.

I've often used a zip tie to make a little loop and pull out the take down lever on my Mk2. You can rip off a thumbnail doing it, you're not careful.

I don't recollect what year I bought my used Mk2, but I had more hair, less children and didn't need bifocals. I don't keep round counts on rimfires, but I wish I did as it is well into the tens of thousands. This is the gun that I used to drastically improve my handgun shooting skills. I went from "mediocre" to "good" due to my ability to cheaply practice.

I've cleaned it once a year, when it began to malfunction, or when I felt guilty about the crunching sound that comes from working the bolt with all that crap in it, whichever comes sooner.

My buddy had a Smith and Wesson 41. From a bench, and with a pair of calipers, there was a measurable difference in group size between the two guns, but standing on my hind legs, there wasn't. I paid $200 for mine, his was alot more.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I've often used a zip tie to make a little loop and pull out the take down lever on my Mk2.
    I just keep a paper clip in my gun cleaning tool box for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    Does Ruger have a straight 1" diameter barrel with no stepping? All I could find are the LITE models with ugly as sin cuts/flutes or a replacement TacSol Pac-Lite upper which is $$$. The reason is for aesthetics with my 1" diameter suppressor.
    Ruger made several straight bull barrel models, including 4", 5.5" and 6.78" barreled guns, but none of them have a one-inch diameter barrel. The bull-barrel diameter is 0.873".

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm a fan of the Buck Mark, more than the Ruger. The one I shoot the most is a pre-mag-disconnect model with a Challenger III 6.75" pencil barrel, Herrett's walnut Silhouette-style grips, and Silhouette trigger and sear spring. I like it quite a bit. The worst thing about Buck Marks is how they seem to multiply in the safe.

There are some really nice deals about at this time, and a $25 rebate from Browning until the end of the year.

Rimfire Central is a great site if you enjoy that part of the shooting experience.

How many rounds will a spring last?
    Thanks,
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    How many rounds will a spring last?
    A shitload. 10-20k easy. I'd buy 2-3 and half a dozen magazines just in case, but I really wouldn't worry about them.

Ruger 22 auto pistols are insanely overbuilt and pretty much indestructible. I used to work on a range that had several of them in the rental case. Our maintenance plan was to keep them lubricated and gouge out any major wads of fouling with a Q-Tip the small end of an M-16 toothbrush if you could see them from the ejection port. If one started to get sluggish, then we'd pull the bolt and scrub it, swish the receiver in a solvent tank, reassemble it, lube it, test fire it, and put it back into service.

Learn to field strip the Mk I and II (which does NOT include separating the upper and lower receiver halves) and enjoy the fact that prices will drop once the Mk IV gets into wider circulation.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    I don't think Tamara has ever cleaned her .22/45. I have a MKII that I stripped down after 5k of CCI blazer, bought it used and was curious about fouling. Waste of time. I do run an oily patch down the barrel if it's going to sleep in the safe for awhile, but that's more due to the humidity down here than fouling issues.
    I can tell you definitively that I have never cleaned my 22/45. It has well over 10k rounds through it. No problems. Sometimes I squire CLP on the bolt if I'm feeling paricularly bad for it.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    \
    Ruger 22 auto pistols are insanely overbuilt and pretty much indestructible.
    I recall reading in an old gunsmithing book that they used to convert them to 32 S&W long for target shooting. I was somewhat underwhelmed at the time, but now find the idea pretty interesting. I haven't figured out the magazine part. Should try to find the book....

My Ruger 22 autos never had the level of shooting the rentals or some others have, but they were always very good shooters and seemed to work well with most ammo.

Site Supporter

22lr Pistols: Field vs Target Models

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I clean my .22 pistols with a .22 bore snake and CLP, and I only do that when it is time to put up the gun for the season. I rarely disassemble a .22 pistol, usually when they are first purchased or for maintenance checks before using a gun.

The exception to that is my integrally-suppressed Mark II, which gets disassembled and dunked in Kroil after a brick or two of sub-sonic ammo. That is to keep the baffles clean and the gun quiet.

To give an idea of how durable the Ruger pistols are, the 1961 Standard I own was purchased used as it is a bit older than I am and definitely led a tougher life. It was disassembled, cleaned, inspected (all of the parts look original), put back together, and fired with its original magazine and a Mark II magazine with the button flipped. Two bricks later, only a few dozen stoppages that I attributed to ammo as most of them did not fire when tried a second time. After that, it was refinished in CeraKote, so it is ready for the next fifty years.

I have to agree with this. I have a mid-60s Ruger standard with all original parts that works like a dream with the original and MexGar Mark 2 mags. I have no plans on refinishing, this pistol has earned it's wear marks the proper way, and that's a badge of pride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jeep45238; 12-19-2016 at 07:37 PM.

User Tag List