Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What are you thankful for on this day?

Student
    Gainful, and meaningful, employment. Being able to sustain my diet primarily on beef, and the systems in place that enable the rate at which I eat it.
    World-class training, legendary teachers, and the opportunity to meet a variety of fellow Americans in their classes. Their acknowledgement, respect, and sense of humor.
    Quality weapons and equipment that I can reasonably afford, and being able to meet the people who have a hand in their design.
    A place to share thoughts and experiences who have a similar enthusiasm for this path we've taken, for recognizing an incredible right and unprecedented responsibility to uphold as free citizens in these blessed states, and this blessed nation.
    My mother and late father, who did they best they could raising me with love, patience, and kindness as reflected in the divine image.
    The retail clerks, fast food cooks, and public services that keep the big wheels turning even when everyone is supposed to have off. Get that holiday differential.

I am thankful that my wife has her health (and that has not been anywhere near a sure thing for the last decade), that our daughter is now a contributing member of society, and that I am fortunate enough to have a life where we truly lack for no necessity. We may not have all we want, but we definitely have more than we need.

Site Supporter
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. My family. Leisure to sit and watch a movie after eating turkey with my wife and daughter. Electronic tools to talk with my son and other distant family. Employment. All blessings from the Almighty.

A little late -

This year Thanksgiving was a reflective and contemplative time - Dad died 3-weeks ago today. And it would be easy to say I'm "not thankful" after losing him. But that wouldn't be true.

I'm thankful for the opportunity I had to spend my life to this point with a great and wonderful father. A man who taught me to shoot, swing a hammer, drive, and work every day. I'm thankful for that life experience that I know not all men get. I'm thankful for the support he gave and still gives in spirit to the work I do, to supporting me as I carve a new path for our family name.

I'm of course thankful for a beautiful and wonderful wife, who is amazing. She was reading to my father to calm him to sleep as he died, precisely as he wanted to go, in his sleep. She is a rock and a wonderful amazing person.

I'm thankful for a dissertation committee that has supported me during an up-and-down series of years in my life. It's very easy for people to be against you in academia. Having a group of people for you is amazing.

I'm thankful for my mother, sister, niece, nephews, and various awesome in-laws. They are supportive and great people whom I love very much.

Finally, I'm thankful for prosperity and relative peace in my home. This year my wife and I managed to a substantial amount of money in our savings accounts for the first time...ever. Our hard work has brought greater prosperity and financial stability. Though we do not know exactly what the future holds in the next 18-24 months, we're better equipped than ever to approach it. And there is very little else I could want overall.

I was given a season pass to a nearby mountain by a fanily for helping deal with the estate of a cool lady. Attending another funeral, my wife's great-uncle took me aside to explain just exactly how seriously he expects me to continue taking my health and fitness to properly support his niece well into old age.

Get to ski every day I can make the mountain before work and know that some belligerent dude truly cares about my wife (big, big deal in my book). Also got to go shopping for Thanksgiving groceries alone with my father. Been too long since we had one-on-one time and I loved hearing some new stories from his law enforcement days.

And hopeful thanks to a former coworker who suddenly retired out. Ran into him at the mountain, rode a lift together, caught up, and made a run together. Takes a walk with his wife every day, put 3,000 miles on his bicycles this last season, and skis every weekday during the winter. He's bursting with energy and positivity. Hope I can have a retirement half so active, simple, and fulfilling. For now, I'm thankful a nice guy has such a good thing going.

Most of all, thankful for my very few friends and my sister. Have had some deep conversations with all this month that remind me just how blessed I am to have people on the same wavelength who genuinely support my eccentric and introverted ways. Hippie wife counts here as the best of my friends, complete with her understanding that I sometimes just need to be left alone with a book, pipe of good tobacco, and record player to zone out for a while. Or wander off into the woods with the dog and my battered old pack for a weekend with no real advance notice. Looking at some couples in our social circle, I definitely hit the jackpot.

Day late, because I worked yesterday...

I'm thankful for my wife of 27 years. I don't know how she does it.

I'm thankful that my parents are still alive and kicking, despite some health scares.

I'm thankful to live in the United States of America. As fucked up as it might seem to the casual observer, things have been worse and could be much, much worse.

As a corollary to the last, I'm grateful to my ancestors who unassed Europe. I wish my distant cousins "over there" the best of luck, especially those in Blighty pushing for Brexit 2.0.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List