Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Kroil/AeroKroil as good as people say?

Kroil is VERY good for cleaning as it gets under fouling. I use it in rimfire suppressors to get lead off of the baffles and tubes as well as for getting under corrosion or loosening choke tubes and flash hiders.

It is not a good lubricant and is not suitable for protecting against corrosion. The Break-Free CLP you have now is much better for wet weather.

It's good for carbon removal and for use as a penetrating oil but believe it or not, oil of wintergreen works just as well for penetrating oil use.
    #RESIST

I've never used Kroil, but a friend of mine (a gunsmith, machinist, Engineer and Class III Manufacturer) turned me on to HILCO Lube many years ago. He had used Kroil for years in his shop and found this to be much more to his liking. He says it's the bomb for cleaning suppressors. I find that it displaces moisture as good or better than WD-40 and doesn't build up or become sticky in cooler temps. It also seems pretty benign when it comes into contact with plastics, stock finishes, glass, etc.

In a pinch, I've used it as a one-step product for cleaning and lubing and I've found nothing better for that purpose. The wipes are especially handy for field maintenance and one cloth will readily clean the dirtiest weapon. The only downside to using this stuff is the fact it can be pretty hard to find. It's an industrial product that's offered by the gallon and by the drum, but it isn't marketed at all towards the retail customer.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I have had good luck breaking in some rifles, and I had better luck with the rifles I broke in with kroil than with sweets. I have never found a good way to keep kroil, it's hard to contain; but fortunately I like the way it smells.

It is also my first choice for unfreezing a threaded part in non-electronic applications.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Don't use it as a cutting fluid. The fumes are 100 times worse than the smell.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Don't use it as a cutting fluid. The fumes are 100 times worse than the smell.
    Kroil is flat out nasty with respect to fumes. I occasionally but rarely use it as a penetrating oil. It works well for this, and this is all that I use it for.

If you want a protectant, choose Eezox. Do the homework. Aromatic, but not gross like Kroil. It's a relatively 'dry' lube if you don't over-apply it.

If you want a wet lubricant, Slip2000 EWL seems as good as any in my experience.

If you want a cleaner, lots of choices. 99.9% isopropyl alcohol works surprisingly well, I buy it but the gallon (or 4) on Amazon.

Trying to find a 'one size fits all' for a penetrant/protectant/lubricant/cleaner is where things go south.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 11-25-2016 at 04:55 PM.

FWIW, I read a looong time ago (on FALFiles I think), that Eezox is hellaciously carcinogenic. Proceed with caution.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    FWIW, I read a looong time ago (on FALFiles I think), that Eezox is hellaciously carcinogenic. Proceed with caution.
    http://www.eezox.info/msds.html
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloroethylene
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 11-28-2016 at 09:26 PM.

Kroil is amazeballs as a penetrating oil.

Site Supporter
    Kroil is an amazing penetrating oil, especially if applied to heated parts (we used it on jet engines after test runs for disassembly), but I won't use it for anything else.

User Tag List