Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Kroil/AeroKroil as good as people say?

Banned

Is Kroil/AeroKroil as good as people say?

I searched this topic before posting and got zero results so forgive me if this question has been asked to death.

From what I've seen on other forums Kroil has a very good reputation as a cleaner/lube. I want to know if it's really that good.

It's getting to be winter and I have one of those jobs where I have to be out in it regardless of weather so I'm wondering if wiping the gun with Kroil would be a better protectant than Breakfree or Starrett light tool oil (What I use now).

PS the gun is an M&P if that matters
    Last edited by Cypher; 11-23-2016 at 07:09 PM.

I sell it at my work and its great for rust, cleaning and breaking stuff loose . Most have found it to be a very poor for rust prevention and lube , and it has a strong odor . I would stick to known performers like Eezox and Slip 2000 , Lucas oil or Mobil 1 for a lube . If you need a general purpose oil for everything Ballistol is a good way to go. YMMV

For breaking stuff free yes its good.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Agree with Colt. I'd look at cold weather tolerances of the lubes he mentioned in making my choice for your environment.

Another vote agreeing with colt. Also look into Wurth film. Stuff is amazing. I use it on tools that previously had issues with rusting.
    i used to wannabe

Banned
    I've never had an issue with rusting but Tuesday night it was raining sideways and me and the gun were soaked. I'm afraid water will get down where I can't get it out and rust so I was thinking about spraying a little Kroil down in the the nooks and crannies

PS just so we're clear, every single one of you has told me Kroil isn't proper for this application and I'm going to take your (collective) word for it
    Last edited by Cypher; 11-23-2016 at 09:38 PM.

WD (40) stands for Water Displacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I've never had an issue with rusting but Tuesday night it was raining sideways and me and the gun were soaked. I'm afraid water will get down where I can't get it out and rust so I was thinking about spraying a little Kroil down in the the nooks and crannies
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    WD (40) stands for Water Displacement.
    I've been told that WD 40 gets gummy and turns to a varnish. I've never cared to risk finding out. I cleaned the gun as normal with Breakfree this afternoon

Kroil is very good at penetrating. Keep it away from optics, primers electronics etc....

It can be good for removing fouling as it will get between the fouling and the barrel and lift it off. I used it a lot when I was shooting at 500 Yards.

A gallon was about $48. Smaller containers were a lot more expensive by the ounce.

Kroil is a very good penetrating oil, not a very good lubricating oil. Essentially what was said above by others.

User Tag List