Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi-automatic shotguns - what is the state of the art?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Montesf1030 View Post
    Any good recommendations for a Semi-auto shotgun but in 20 gauge?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mossberg SA20 "Tactical" 20 inch. Made in Turkey. Does not get shot a lot so I cannot comment on long term durability, etc. but frankly that is not its purpose. Situation - I travel a lot and we live in kind of a rural suburb. We have coyotes in the area plus a large copperhead tried to bite wife's favorite dog (missed) and wife holds a grudge. The Mossberg SA20 is the snake and coyote plus 2 legged critter tool. Lives in the basement loaded with 20 gauge buckshot but first round is a heavy birdshot for snakes.

I was big in clay pigeon sports so I have multiple shotguns. I realize that Rem 1100s are old school but I have seen 1100s as high volume clays guns when maintained properly. I have a Rem 1100 Tactical 12 gauge that serves as a HD but I have a lot of experience running 1100s. I am trying now a Stoeger 3000 24 inch due to lots of positive press from 3 gun community - sort of a poor man's Benelli.
    Last edited by ranger; 12-02-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Mossberg SA20 "Tactical" 20 inch. Made in Turkey. Does not get shot a lot so I cannot comment on long term durability, etc. but frankly that is not its purpose. Situation - I travel a lot and we live in kind of a rural suburb. We have coyotes in the area plus a large copperhead tried to bite wife's favorite dog (missed) and wife holds a grudge. The Mossberg SA20 is the snake and coyote plus 2 legged critter tool. Lives in the basement loaded with 20 gauge buckshot but first round is a heavy birdshot for snakes.
    I was about to ask if anyone had experience with these. Thinking the Tactical version with the Youth buttstock would work well for HH6. If it works well at all...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Unless the weight of the shotgun is an issue, the 12 gauge LE 8 pellet reduced recoil 00 loads have about the same recoil as 20 gauge buckshot loads, but offer better terminal performance.

*if your shotgun can cycle them.
    I've been using this load since '09 and have been very impressed with it .
    36from an 18.5" Mossberg 500.

I dispatched a Pit Bull with one round of that yesterday and it was super DRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I really wanted an M2 with a clean receiver to run a red dot on. Bought one and got the Mesa Tactical mount that combines a side saddle and rail. The M2 arrived and had no holes drilled. Turns out it is only with the Tactical Model. I did not want the tall irons. I sold the gun and have been debating the M4. My M4 money keeps getting spent on high end revolvers. If I was still a working cop, the M4 would be a priority. For a home defense gun, what I have is fine.
    Isn't the tactical available with rifle sights?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Isn't the tactical available with rifle sights?
    All the ones I saw had ghost rings instead of the barrel mounted low rifle sights. Basically, what I originally found was if the receiver was drilled for a rail, it had ghost rings. If that has changed, I would be all over it.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    All the ones I saw had ghost rings instead of the barrel mounted low rifle sights. Basically, what I originally found was if the receiver was drilled for a rail, it had ghost rings. If that has changed, I would be all over it.
    How much of an issue is it to get a Benelli receiver drilled and tapped ?

In doing more googling it appears that the model I'd want (cofortech, rifle sights) has been discontinued. Maybe that's the issue. Or, perhaps there's some weirdness where they don't want to be bothered drilling and tapping the receiver unless they have to for the ghost-rings, and once they are already doing it for the ghosts they do it for the rail.

ETA:
    I suppose it might be possible to buy the ghost ring version and swap out the barrel, and sell the sights and barrel. Probably only worth it if starting with a used gun.
    Last edited by rob_s; 12-07-2016 at 05:49 AM.

Not "state of the art" by any stretch, but I've got this shortened (from both ends) 1187 Premier running like a champ with Federal LE loads. I've named her Betty (the only firearm I have ever named) and she's an elegant gal that no adversary wants to screw with. She was a fun project to work on and has earned her spot as a dependable, socially adroit HD shotgun!

Deleted...double tap.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 12-10-2016 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I'm just some dood and another sample of one but I have had very good luck with my 1187P. Purchased it back in 1997 (identically configured to the ones in HCM's post) and it has gladly eaten everything from the Wal-Mart bargain #7 target loads on up to full power slugs and buckshot. The only thing it does not reliably cycle are the reduced recoil LE loads and some uber ancient paper wadded slugs I was given. I'm not a high volume shotgun shooter (or anything shooter anymore I'm afraid) but the shotgun has been through one class plus enough range and field sessions that it has earned my trust for anything I would need a shotgun for.

I've shot a handful of other semi-auto shotguns as well as the standard array of pump guns and what has me sold with the Remington is that I find it as easy to manage full recoil loads with the 1187 as it is reduced recoil loads with a pump. It is very noticeably more docile than my friends Benelli M2, but heavier as well. Another thing I like about it is that it is easy for me to switch barrels and remove the magazine extension and turn the gun into game or clay gun. I'm far from a cleaning Nazi but it just keeps chugging along. My only concern with the system has been that it uses a silicon gas ring and despite the fact I've had no issues with them, should the zombipolypse come, it could theoretically prove to be a weak point in the system.

The 1187P is hardly state of the art, and it is quite possible I got the 1%er good gun, but I'm quite happy with the system.
    Me too. I have one like yours, made during the same time frame and am happy with it. I replaced the rifle sights with Ameriglo night sights and added a side saddle and light. It runs every type of full power and reduced recoil buckshot & slugs I have put in it, as well as all but the lightest target loads (which is okay with me). Again, sample size of one (and low volume use at that) but it is fine for what I want it for. Although I have had no issues, I concur about the silicon gas ring and have extras standing by just in case.

User Tag List