Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi-automatic shotguns - what is the state of the art?

I'm an average (at best) 3gunner, but I do have the good fortune of shooting with guys like Rob Romero and Erik Lund since both are local. Rob has been a team shooter for both Benelli and Remington. Currently, not having any shotgun sponsorship, he's shooting a Benelli. According to him, the barrel lock up on the Remington Versamax does not allow for consistent slug accuracy. To me, an inertia gun wins over a gas gun for long term reliability's sake. They are weight sensitive, but test your gear, and you'll be fine. My M1's run bulk target loads 100%. As far as pistol grip and light placement, that's 100% personal preference.

Pat Kelly and SLG's wife wife have more 3gun experience than I do. Maybe they'll chime in.

I know 3gun isn't your ultimate goal, but is one of the few proving grounds for shotguns now that most things on the tactical side are centered around the carbine.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Dagga Boy preferred the Benelli with Aimpoint Micro, side saddle, and single point sling at his recent shotgun class. I don't remember what light he was running. He specifically mentioned preferring certain features over the PF fave 1301.

Then again, Bolke isn't exactly known around here for being "state of the art." ��
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Sometime I will tell you my bear hunting joke.

Back to the OP. If your idea of a light truck is a Raptor, get a Benelli M4. If you want all around great, get a Benelli M2. If you are cheap, get a 1301 T.

Okay....enough fiction on the internet. I shot two guns in class. The one with the Aimpoint Micro, side saddle and single point was actually my full house Vang Remington 870 built by Hans when he was still in Goleta CA. First gun he ever did with a picatinny rail. It is daddy's baby and has been through more classes than I can remember and is a stellar hard use gun.
    The other gun I was shooting was a basically dead stock Benelli M1 HK marked Super 90 with a two point Vickers sling. It is like the guns we used on our SWAT team and what I used to shoot in three gun when I could run a semi auto. Really a throw back, but a gun I simply love for a light, simple fast shooting 12ga. I even use a short mag tube and run no accessories on them.
    As GJM stated the M4's are the Raptor of shotguns, and it is on my list as a heavy gun to run a light, red dot and side saddle. Totally different than what I want as a carry gun for the field. I have a bit of a personal issue with getting blown off by Berreta on the 1301 when I pointed out issues with the 1301 at a cop show, which included proving right in front of them that they had an issue. For a lightweight semi auto with a red dot, I would likely lean to the M2. I really liked the Beretta T4, and GJM's old gun was about perfect in my eyes.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Sometime I will tell you my bear hunting joke.
    "You're not here for the bear hunting are you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    "You're not here for the bear hunting are you?"
    Yep!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Another vote for the Benelli M2; this one has the Scalarworks RMR mount, vey slick, low profile, co-witness:

Name:  IMG_0429 3.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0430 3.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  56.3 KB

Yep!
    That joke was over on the old snipers hide about Frank- Lowlight-and it was funny.......you need to post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Long View Post
    That joke was over on the old snipers hide about Frank- Lowlight-and it was funny.......you need to post it.
    It is better in person after a few beers.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Another vote for the Benelli M2; this one has the Scalarworks RMR mount, vey slick, low profile, co-witness:

Name:  IMG_0429 3.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0430 3.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  56.3 KB

How do you like the comfortech stock? I have an M2 like that but it is pistol grip. Reminds me of the ARs. It will occasionally fail to feed light payload shells, 1 1/8 oz loads. I had a local three gunner who is a Benelli shooter look, he said it is the action spring. Either get the lighter stock Benelli spring or else a fix which he described, if I wanted to run lighter load shells. It runs fine with buckshot which is what I run in it. I elected to leave the spring......

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Long View Post
    How do you like the comfortech stock? I have an M2 like that but it is pistol grip. Reminds me of the ARs. It will occasionally fail to feed light payload shells, 1 1/8 oz loads. I had a local three gunner who is a Benelli shooter look, he said it is the action spring. Either get the lighter stock Benelli spring or else a fix which he described, if I wanted to run lighter load shells. It runs fine with buckshot which is what I run in it. I elected to leave the spring......
    I tested a 14 inch M2 with the factory pistol grip stock and the Comfertech. No comparison shooting slugs, the Comfortech was mo better!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    If it's for the shell dump/multiple shells on the lifter issue, that's sorta been addressed -- just not by Beretta (although they have a couple of dozen of my shrouds for evaluation...).
    The guys who ran the 1301 in class showed it to me. I may need to get over some of the folks beretta hires. Between the "it is fine, there is nothing wrong with it as a police gun" and the moron I talked to at SHOT on them, it makes it tough. Many of the companies are so bad at dealing with issues.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List