Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi-automatic shotguns - what is the state of the art?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Semi-automatic shotguns - what is the state of the art?

Last night I had a vivid dream that I was shooting a semi-automatic shotgun (maybe a benelli?) with some kind of red dot optic, a pistol grip stock and a light. The only thing I remember about it was that it was absolutely awesome. I have cool dreams sometimes.

So, even though I'm also pricing out a bolt gun build.... I thought a semi auto shotgun was an idea worth considering too. The gun I have in mind is would be semi automatic, with the option to mount a light and red dot (ideally with some iron sight cowitness). Pistol grip is optional but what I am leaning towards.

So, questions...

1) What gun would make the best base for this? Leaning towards the Benelli M4 but considering the FN SLP and Beretta 1301 as well.
    2) What red dot? Would I be looking at an aimpoint micro or even smaller (RMR? Burris fastfire?)
    3) This depends somewhat on the answer to 1), but what light mounting options are most optimal for what I want?
    4) Anything else? Is this a worthwhile endeavor? My desire for this is a combination of practical (home defense) and recreational (the idea sounds awesome). Not a sport-specific driven purchase.

Dagga Boy preferred the Benelli with Aimpoint Micro, side saddle, and single point sling at his recent shotgun class. I don't remember what light he was running. He specifically mentioned preferring certain features over the PF fave 1301.

Then again, Bolke isn't exactly known around here for being "state of the art." ��
    Last edited by David S.; 11-23-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Jealous. Last night I dreamed I was eatin by a bear. 3rd time this year, not sure what this means.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Jealous. Last night I dreamed I was eatin by a bear. 3rd time this year, not sure what this means.
    Sometime I will tell you my bear hunting joke.

Back to the OP. If your idea of a light truck is a Raptor, get a Benelli M4. If you want all around great, get a Benelli M2. If you are cheap, get a 1301 T.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Versa Max Tactical. Reliable and very soft shooting.

I have a M4 with a T1,ADM low mount. I shoot 2.75 slugs and am very happy with accuracy and realibility.

It means you need to shoot better.

It means you are friends with the bear- eatin' by a bear. Now, if you were eaten by a bear, that is a problem.......

Yes I contributed nothing here. Fun with spelling.

I have shot all of those shotguns you mentioned, and honestly favor the 1301T. Mine is set up like DocGKR's.

I like the gas-operated recoil system which also reduces recoil, the speed of operation, and the light weight. It's a lot of fun with a T-1 and a Surefire U-Boat.

Just my opinion, I only have about 450 rounds through mine. But that has been everything from light trap loads to Federal DPRS slugs, as well as the Brenneke SF Magnums.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    The publisher of my magazine was a thousand-rounds-a-week shotgun shooter for a long time and he's my go-to guy for shotgun questions. I think he was vying for an olympic spot at one time; his best friend left the country and is gaming for a spot on the US trap team now IIRC.

They're both big believers in the Versamax. Neither of them are especially "tactical" although the publisher is moderately so. Both of them shoot more shotgun in an average year than I probably will in my life.

So I don't have any personal insight for you but I can report that the people I deal with that are hard core shotgun guys on a level that radically exceeds my interest in pretty much anything other than women, seem to be pretty convinced of the merits of the Versamax.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List