Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi-automatic shotguns - what is the state of the art?

Any good recommendations for a Semi-auto shotgun but in 20 gauge?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does the answer change if we change "state of the art" to "ubiquitous/common/proven"?

Does the answer change from competition to people-shooting? Not from a "yes because competition is dumb and has lesser consequences and we are willing to sacrifice reliability and longevity for [game]" but from a more practical standpoint.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Montesf1030 View Post

What purpose(s)?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    What purpose(s)?
    Although I am not the one asking the initial question, I would be interested in any answers from the standpoint of home defense with recoil shy family members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by stinx View Post
    My agency and my experience with shotguns was as follows: HK/Benelli M-121, Beretta 1201 FP then Benelli M-2 with a small number of M-4's. My preference is the M4, But I did just by a basically unfired Beretta 1201FP for my place up north. We did utilize 870 pumps as dedicated less lethal platforms. Any of these shotguns would work A-ok as a primary arm as long
    as the operator knew how to use them. YMMV
    Ah....The Benelli M121. I miss mine. First semi auto I owned. Sold it for an SKB Tactical that was a really cool gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Still have my first patrol shotgun; it remains viable thanks to new recoil buffer. We had to provide our own SGs back in early '90s. My friend had a single-shot H&R! I was into gun-shaming early

If anybody wants to Time Travel, pm an offer.

Name:  SPAS 12 from Patrol Days.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  103.1 KB
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Not a cheap one but a pretty turn key option: http://www.rivendellsales.com/Shotgun.html
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Looking mostly for HD ...

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Although I am not the one asking the initial question, I would be interested in any answers from the standpoint of home defense with recoil shy family members.

Unless the weight of the shotgun is an issue, the 12 gauge LE 8 pellet reduced recoil 00 loads have about the same recoil as 20 gauge buckshot loads, but offer better terminal performance.

*if your shotgun can cycle them.
    Last edited by txdpd; 12-02-2016 at 02:44 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar

If you mean for that shotgun to be used for personal defense, you really gain nothing by using a 20 gauge. To get the same performance you want from a shotgun for anti-bad guy work you have to use loads that are at the upper end of the 20 gauge power spectrum and the package ends up offering more recoil than some of the good reduced recoil 12 gauge loads that perform very well against bad men and function in some of the more forgiving semi-auto 12 gauge shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Unless the weight of the shotgun is an issue, the 12 gauge LE 8 pellet reduced recoil 00 loads have about the same recoil as 20 gauge buckshot loads, but offer better terminal performance.

*if your shotgun can cycle them.
    This. Recoil from the Federal Flite-Control 8 pellet 00 load is extremely mild, and my 1301 cycles those shells reliably. As does every other 1301 I've heard of.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 12-02-2016 at 03:55 PM.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List