Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger characteristics -- Glock vs VP9

Ditto to all of the above. I gank shots through Glocks like nobody's business (although I could certainly reduce that if I trained on one a bit I'm sure). The VP9 seems pretty tard proof when I'm behind one.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    I'm up to around 1000 rounds live fire on a flat face trigger. I have a few thousand additional dry fire pulls on it as well.

As SLG mentioned, the pre travel is reduced. I don't know enough about glocks to tell you the reason why. It uses all factory parts outside of the trigger shoe. It is more forgiving of finger placement. Having the flat face trigger showed me the inconsistencies in my trigger pull. It's easier to tell if my finger isn't flat on the trigger or if I pull it straight to the rear.

I have noticed a positive difference when going back to stock triggers.

To be clear, I'm not advocating a flat trigger as a way to fix a trigger pull issue. It didn't fix the issue. I had to change my mechanics to fix my trigger pull issue.

Here's a picture to illustrate the reduced pre travel.
    And I wouldn't expect a trigger to fix anyone's mechanics in being able to press a trigger to the rear. My curiosity stems from the fact that humans are imperfect and sometimes, like during a stressful situation, humans don't always do things perfectly exactly how they would like to.

Other pistols and their triggers seem to be more forgiving of people and their trigger presses. I think the Glock "hump" and trigger guard play a role in its unforgiving nature as well.

Everyone loves a Glock for its leniency for environmental issues. Everyone hates a Glock for its disdain for human issues.

Glock. Perfection. Because that's what you need to shoot one well.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

My VP9 is stock except for the HD sights. To be honest I haven't shot it at 25 yards since having the HD sights installed. At 15 yards the point of aim/impact was at the top of the front sight. I could use the rear sight an an emergency knife as the edge is extremely sharp. I much prefer the Amarillo Spartan's, but they don't make them for the VP9.

The VP9's trigger, both it's shape and where it breaks makes it my favorite striker fired gun to shoot. But I still carry a Glock 19, gen4 when not at work. My Glock 19's have Taran Tactical connectors in them and Amarillo spartan sights. I've also found over the years that if I don't shoot the Glock on a regular basis, it's easy to pull shots. I attribute it to the shape of the face of the trigger causing my finger to want to act like a kid's Teeter Totter and pivot as a press the trigger. I have large hands with long fingers. Guns like the M&P9 and the VP9 are set up with large grips. Since I bought the first gen4 GLock 19, I used the large back strap. Last spring I tried going with the medium back strap (with beaver tail) and sinking more finger into the trigger. I've found that if I get the Glock trigger close to the first joint of my trigger finger, I get more consistency with my trigger press. Once I started doing this, the groups stayed centered when shooting my Glocks. I'm not saying this should be how everyone shoots a Glock. But it worked for me. After about 35 years of using the front pad of my finger, it surprised me how easy it was to reprogram my brain as far as trigger placement on my Glocks go.

As for my grip, I use a strong grip with my dominant hand, fore and aft. I've found over the years that when I'm putting someone at gunpoint, or when dealing with an armed individual, I tend to use a strong grip without thinking about it. So training that way seemed like the logical thing to do.

If HK ever made a VP9 the size of the P2000, I'd seriously consider retiring my Glocks for good. For now, I enjoy shooting my VP9 but I carry a Glock 19 when on my own time.

Vending Machine Operator
    Both my VP9 and G19G4 are bone stock except for night sights (factory TruGlo on the VP9, Ameriglo CAP orange on the G19).

The VP9 provides a trigger that makes me a better shot than any other gun I own except my Colt 1911. I am a bullseye shooter with that gun.

I still don't carry or nightstand it because the trigger is so LIGHT. I'm not sure it's actually any lighter by poundage, but the break almost doesn't exist. It's an amazing range gun, though.

G19's trigger has a hard-ass wall but is pretty easy to run with practice. I'm not VP9 good with it, but I'm better with it than most of my other guns. I feel (subjectively) like it's a bit safer. More importantly, it is very close to the trigger of my Walther PPS M1, which is my EDC, so practice with one benefits the other.

The VP9 does eject/cycle a lot more confidently but neither have had a failure. About 900 through the VP9, 600 through the G19, so they're still pretty low-count guns.

My "safety" perception likely comes from the fact that the vast majority of my handgun experience comes from safety-equipped DA/SA pistols (PX4 and 92FS). Transitioning to primarily strikers has been a major test of my faith in my own trigger discipline.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 11-23-2016 at 10:17 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I do not have significant time on the flat faced Glock triggers, but my understanding is that they usually remove some pretty travel. Not a good thing.
    My understanding is the the majority do that although some state they still leave enough out. However, the Apex flat trigger apparently leaves the pretravel intact. There's a 23 page thread with a decent review of flat Glock triggers on M4C.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    My understanding is the the majority do that although some state they still leave enough out. However, the Apex flat trigger apparently leaves the pretravel intact. There's a 23 page thread with a decent review of flat Glock triggers on M4C.
    Pretravel, yes. Pretty travel, no. Tablets...

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post

If HK ever made a VP9 the size of the P2000, I'd seriously consider retiring my Glocks for good. For now, I enjoy shooting my VP9 but I carry a Glock 19 when on my own time.
    I really like the VP9, a lot! The only reason I don't own a couple is the lack of a smaller option. For me, that truly places the VP9 as a recreational pistol, and I have others to fill that role. Add a SK or between option and I'd give very serious consideration to making it a full-time social system.
    Last edited by LSP552; 11-23-2016 at 10:44 AM.

I had an Apex flat front. Went back to factory smooth which I much prefer. I dont feel I struggle with the left/right as much as some of you. I also have small hands. I wonder is that is a factor. Seems like a lot of you guys with big hands complain of the left/right tendencies more. I also am an anomaly.... I like the G19 finger grooves (but not the 17's). I just shoot a Glock 9 far better than anything else I've tried. A lot of pistols squirm in my hands a lot more. Glocks track very well for me under recoil. Sure the trigger is tougher to master than say a 1911...but the purchase and control I get on a G19 far and away trump a (at least to me) slightly more sensitive trigger. I have never shot a VP9. Kinda scared to cause I'm so content right now

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I have a tendency to push shots slightly left with the factory Glock trigger; this has disappeared with an Apex Glock trigger installed. Still think the VP-9 is easier to shoot well on low-probability targets.

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    I had an Apex flat front. Went back to factory smooth which I much prefer. I dont feel I struggle with the left/right as much as some of you. I also have small hands. I wonder is that is a factor. Seems like a lot of you guys with big hands complain of the left/right tendencies more. I also am an anomaly.... I like the G19 finger grooves (but not the 17's). I just shoot a Glock 9 far better than anything else I've tried. A lot of pistols squirm in my hands a lot more. Glocks track very well for me under recoil. Sure the trigger is tougher to master than say a 1911...but the purchase and control I get on a G19 far and away trump a (at least to me) slightly more sensitive trigger. I have never shot a VP9. Kinda scared to cause I'm so content right now
    Poor fit can be overcome by technique, but it's easier when the pistol actually fits. Sounds like the 19 is a perfect choice for you.

User Tag List