Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger characteristics -- Glock vs VP9

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Hey Rich, let me give some additional points to consider. Much will depend also on your shooting type or purpose. If you are defensive oriented a greater priority might not necessarily be centered around .10 or .20 on a reload, but rather how well you deliver the rounds in the first magazine with the weapon of your choice and the tactics you utilize.

Now if you are into gun games where blazing fast reloads can mean winning and losing, then you are tracking. In gun games or even on shooting drills, reloads are definitely areas that can make or break times.

Now is it something that you "should worry about" at this point in your shooting career? Probably not something to be overly concerned about at the moment, but it is good that you are putting in the mental exercise at this point.
    Thank you surf. Much appreciate the perspective.

Primarily, my long term goal is to become a better defensive pistol shooter. My current short term objectives are to get accurate (on a 3x5) shots from the holster, concealed, at 7 yards inside of 2.0 seconds, and multiple accurate shots quickly (say 2 seconds).

Outside of these specific things, I also practice various skills (one hand shooting, reloads, headbox shots at 25 yards, etc. but these are tertiary things. The reload skill would come into play in my USPSA shooting, as and when I restart doing that again. So given that, since I 'can' safely perform a reload on the clock, I'll keep with the middle finger.

Thanks for the feedback, I will put it to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Thank you surf. Much appreciate the perspective.

Primarily, my long term goal is to become a better defensive pistol shooter. My current short term objectives are to get accurate (on a 3x5) shots from the holster, concealed, at 7 yards inside of 2.0 seconds, and multiple accurate shots quickly (say 2 seconds).

Outside of these specific things, I also practice various skills (one hand shooting, reloads, headbox shots at 25 yards, etc. but these are tertiary things. The reload skill would come into play in my USPSA shooting, as and when I restart doing that again. So given that, since I 'can' safely perform a reload on the clock, I'll keep with the middle finger.

Thanks for the feedback, I will put it to good use.
    Based on some further great PM feedback from another member, I'm going to dial this back to a goal of solid hits to A zone in 2.0s from concealment at 7 yards.

As a footnote, my JM CK AIWB 2.0 holster arrived today. I'm hoping to pick up some time in an AIWB draw vs carrying IWB at 8 o'clock (lefty).

I am curious as to why you changed your goal, and what exactly the new goal is?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

D2 to a 3X5 in 2.0 from concealment at 7 yds is pretty sporty. As in 90% success rate.
    Last edited by JHC; 12-02-2016 at 08:15 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    D2 to a 3X5 in 2.0 from concealment at 7 yds is pretty sporty. As in 90% success rate.
    I also thought Gabe's goal of 125/125 at Rogers was pretty aggressive, right up to when he shot that perfect 125. If you believe, you may, but if you don't set goals high, you are unlikely to.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I also thought Gabe's goal of 125/125 at Rogers was pretty aggressive, right up to when he shot that perfect 125. If you believe, you may, but if you don't set goals high, you are unlikely to.
    Crawl walk run man.

Recently shooting exactly this with Kevin B and my older son. They camp out way under that. I'm a quarter sec behind for 90% and I work this a lot. I wouldn't call it the first goal to set for a shooter challenged to get 2 Alphas, but I'm not a taskmaster type. More of a process guy.
    Last edited by JHC; 12-02-2016 at 08:28 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

That is exactly the skill I work as primary. My target is 2.25 cold 90%. I find it very challenging.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    That is exactly the skill I work as primary. My target is 2.25 cold 90%. I find it very challenging.
    Which is the hard part, the speed or the accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    If I can share my experience, set it at 2.0. The 2.25 now happens routinely.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Which is the hard part, the speed or the accuracy?
    The consistency. This is a cold measure so I don't get a lot of data points against the real target. Warmed up I can push speed and get down under 2 but accuracy drops below 90% (always the first shot, which does not happen when I push speed on D1s, which is a riddle). If I've got a defined low prob target I can't make myself push the splits faster than what gets hits, so all the push comes on the draw. So what I'm working on is picking the sight picture up faster peripherally so I can clean up that accuracy when I'm driving for that 1.75 first shot.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List