Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger characteristics -- Glock vs VP9

Using my thumb on the HK mag release is faster for me, more reliable for me, and most important to me, keeps my trigger finger away from the trigger guard.

Why is the Serpa bad but activating the HK mag release with the trigger finger good?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Using my thumb on the HK mag release is faster for me, more reliable for me, and most important to me, keeps my trigger finger away from the trigger guard.

Why is the Serpa bad but activating the HK mag release with the trigger finger good?
    I don't consider the movements to be even remotely related. Other people may have fingers that work differently though. Mine are kinda short.

I know an extremely talented shooter, tactical and USPSA, that had an ND while using his trigger finger to drop the magazine on a VP9.

For those that use their index finger, please post video, so we can slo mo it, and examine the movement of the trigger finger, and its proximity to the trigger while manipulating the magazine release.

On a reload, the gun is moving away from my trigger finger, which is coming off the trigger to the rear. I don't think I could ND that way if I tried. People who think they should be able to reach all the controls from a firing grip are as wrong as ...

For those of you with bigger hands or fingers, sorry, you had the wrong parents ;-)

Just took this photo of what engaging the right side magazine release with my trigger finger looks like.

Because there is not word for a "full speed on-timer reload on the run with a loaded chamber" in German. And, as seasonal tactical timmies will attest, the in-battery reload in food courts can only occur when, and I quote, "there is a lull in a fight".
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Just took this photo of what engaging the right side magazine release with my trigger finger looks like.

Damn. Those are some Lana-sized sausages (ubiquitous Archer reference).
    My trigger finger on the magazine release does not appear to threaten the trigger nearly as much, but I have skinny fingers.
    Last edited by Cincinnatus; 11-30-2016 at 10:57 PM.

I know an extremely talented shooter, tactical and USPSA, that had an ND while using his trigger finger to drop the magazine on a VP9.

For those that use their index finger, please post video, so we can slo mo it, and examine the movement of the trigger finger, and its proximity to the trigger while manipulating the magazine release.

https://vimeo.com/193823527
    Short man. Short fingers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BaiHu; 11-30-2016 at 11:21 PM.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

It is very possible to ND while dropping a magazine on the reload. As I've said before, I know because I've done it. My best recollection as to how it happened is this: I started my reload with an already prepped trigger due to uncertainty of the previous shot, driving the finger to the magazine release from that point applied force to the trigger, and broke the unintended shot. Boom, ND. Is that a common occurrence? No. Is it possible? Definitely. It has been a while since then, and I have trained to do a lot more slapping of the trigger than prepping now, but it still happened and I can't discount it.
    TY83544

In dry fire flailing at speed I've never had an issue releasing a magazine and hitting the trigger over the last few years. Picking up the gun, sure, but not dropping mags. Considering the symmetrical releases a thumb might not be much better with a grip adjustment. Guess it depends on the hand size and what you're used to.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List