Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Justice Dept fines Denver Sheriffs over requiring applicants be US citizens

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by coldcase1984 View Post
    That is really odd, considering we just had a Major over one of our divisions indicted by the same justice department because he lied about being a naturalized citizen.This guy was born in Ireland but never bothered to apply for citizenship.

He's a crony of our sheriff who is currently being held pre-trial on federal corruption charges.

The major resigned, but the sheriff refused to, but been suspended without pay due to an ouster suit that's been filed.

They're both Republicans on paper, and wonder if that makes the difference?

Not taking up for them, but it appears the feds put a lot more effort into this investigation than they have with Killary!

Anyways, it's a horrible time to be a cop in America, but at least you don't work here!
    They are likely charging him with 18 USC 1001 - false statements, (The Martha Stuart Charge) resulting from the public corruption investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not all Federal LE Jobs require a security clearance.
    Sure they do, if they're non-sensitive positions then the clearance is as easy as some record checks or something. Which sworn FLEO jobs do not require U.S. citizenship?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by heyscooter View Post
    Sure they do, if they're non-sensitive positions then the clearance is as easy as some record checks or something. Which sworn FLEO jobs do not require U.S. citizenship?
    Terms have specific meanings - a background investigation and a security clearance are not the same thing. Security clearances are specificly for access to classified information.

All federal emoloyees / all FLEO. are subject to background investigations. Not all employees or FLEO have security clearances.

Re-read my earlier post - as I stated, to my knowledge all FLEO Jobs require U.S. Citizenship.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-25-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Not all Federal LE Jobs require a security clearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by heyscooter View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think you guys are getting to the same end. Let's take a look at current openings on USAJOBS.gov to see what we're talking about, and see how unconventional the DOJ's decision is:

US Capitol Police, GS-0083 Police Officer: Requires US Citizenship, does not require a clearance (Confidential, Secret, TS) but it does require a background check.

Federal Reserve, FR-0083 Police Officer: Requires US Citizenship, does not require a clearance (Confidential, Secret, TS) but it does require a background check.

US Mint, TR-0083 Police Officer: Requires US Citizenship, does not require a clearance (Confidential, Secret, TS) but it does require a Public Trust background check. (Note: "Public Trust" is not a security clearance)

Veterans Administration, GS-0083 Police Officer: Requires US Citizenship, does not require a clearance (Confidential, Secret, TS) but it does require a Public Trust background check. (Note: "Public Trust" is not a security clearance)

Here's the details for an old opening for the FBI GS-0083 Police Officer (Note: a DOJ agency):Requires US Citizenship, does not require a clearance (Confidential, Secret, TS) but it does require a background check.

Most of the 0083 Police Officer positions do not require a security clearance, but require citizenship. What about some other uniformed federal LEO positions outside the 0083 Police Officer designation?

Customs and Border Protection, GS-1895 CBP Officer (the blue shirt customs guys): Requires US Citizenship, does not require a clearance (Confidential, Secret, TS) but it does require a Public Trust background check. (Note: "Public Trust" is not a security clearance)

Customs and Border Protection, GL-1896 Border Patrol Agent: Requires US Citizenship, does not require a clearance (Confidential, Secret, TS) but it does require a Public Trust background check. (Note: "Public Trust" is not a security clearance)

Customs and Border Protection, GL-1801 Marine Interdiction Agent: Requires US citizenship and Secret clearance.

National Park Service, GS-0025 Park Ranger (Requires NPS Police Commission): Requires US Citizenship, does not require a clearance (Confidential, Secret, TS) but it does require a background check.

Bureau of Prisons, GL-007 Correctional Officer (yes, they're technically LEOs with firearms and statutory arrest powers): Requires US Citizenship, does not require a clearance (Confidential, Secret, TS) but it does require a Public Trust background check. (Note: "Public Trust" is not a security clearance)

The NV-0084 Nuclear Materials Courier position obviously requires USC and a DOE Q clearance.

I think it's clear that the DOJs decision needs a bit more explanation, because the federal government requires USC for any LEO position I can find even when a security clearance is not required. Note: US citizenship is not required for a security clearance. You'll just be subject to NOFORN conditions.

What else can we glean from this? It might be a good time if you're looking to get a FLEO gig. Lots on there, and that's only the uniformed type positions.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-25-2016 at 11:28 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

This is rather ironic considering all federal law-enforcement jobs I am aware of including those within the US Justice Department require applicants to be US citizens.
    Ya, I saw this on the news and was pretty confused.

How the heck do you become a sworn officer -- without being a citizen of the USA?!

Seems jacked up to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Ya, I saw this on the news and was pretty confused.

How the heck do you become a sworn officer -- without being a citizen of the USA?!

Seems jacked up to me.
    Seems "jacked up" to me that various groups of so-called citizens within the U.S. have to be identified as ****-American.

(**** can represent any of a number of groups which choose to be labeled in separate fashion from being plain vanilla "American" so as to reinforce their special (snowflake) status and entitlement to extra dessert.)
    Last edited by blues; 11-25-2016 at 07:28 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    National Park Service, GS-0025 Park Ranger (Requires NPS Police Commission): Requires US Citizenship, does not require a clearance (Confidential, Secret, TS) but it does require a background check.
    USA Jobs is missing something. We do have to maintain a clearance. It's varied from Secret to Critical Sensitive depending on the position and the cost of the background. My initial clearance was from USBP for TS. If I had to guess, "background clearnance" is USA Jobs speak for a clearance. The greatest repository for geniuses with the Federal Government is not found at USA Jobs.
    Last edited by John Hearne; 11-25-2016 at 09:20 PM.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    USA Jobs is missing something.
    I think it's more likely that I am misusing the word "clearance," which I always thought referred to clearance for classified information (thereby excluding lower levels like public trust).

My initial clearance was from USBP for TS.
    USBP.......Border Patrol? Neither of the two guys I'm friends with who are Border Patrol agents even have a secret.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-25-2016 at 09:40 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    USA Jobs is missing something. We do have to maintain a clearance. It's varied from Secret to Critical Sensitive depending on the position and the cost of the background. My initial clearance was from USBP for TS. If I had to guess, "background clearnance" is USA Jobs speak for a clearance. The greatest repository for geniuses with the Federal Government is not found at USA Jobs.
    Actual Clearances are : Secret, TS and TS/SCI.

The rest (public trust etc) are background investigations. Most USBP agents do not have actual clearances. Those that need it for specialized duties have it.

Our guys are all supposed to have Secret but maybe 1/2 actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Seriously, the sooner Loretta Lynch is gone, the better.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/11/21...ing-practices/
    Crap like this is a big part of the reason Trump won.

User Tag List