Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Justice Dept fines Denver Sheriffs over requiring applicants be US citizens

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    How can a non citizen posses a firearm.

I know if they are hunting and have a hunting license they can have a gun. But are there any other ways one can have possession of a firearm?

Or you could just give them funny hats and big sticks and call them Bobbies.

"Nice try pal, I was born in the States."

(My late best friend, "Smoky".)
    Last edited by blues; 11-22-2016 at 09:38 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    How can a non citizen posses a firearm.

... But are there any other ways one can have possession of a firearm?
    Green card.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...chase-firearms

May aliens legally in the United States purchase firearms?

An alien legally in the U.S. is not prohibited from purchasing firearms unless the alien is admitted into the U.S. under nonimmigrant visa and does not meet one of the exceptions as provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as possession of a valid hunting license or permit.

[18 U.S.C. 922 (d)(5), (g)(5) and (y)(2); 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.32(a)(5) ]

Last Reviewed September 23, 2016
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 11-22-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Green card.
    Well, at least if they're here on a green card, they're not illegals, and (theoretically at least) they're on the path to citizenship, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    The sooner the whole administration is gone the better..
    This/\...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Well, at least if they're here on a green card, they're not illegals, and (theoretically at least) they're on the path to citizenship, right?
    Not every legal permanent resident wants to be a citizen. Many live their whole lives here and don't choose that path. They still pay taxes, etc.

I don't recall anything in the OP's link about the Denver SD being penalized for not considering illegals. It was only about non-citizens. We need to be careful to make that distinction.

It does seem odd to me that we are having laws enforced by people who can't vote for or against them.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I don't recall anything in the OP's link about the Denver SD being penalized for not considering illegals. It was only about non-citizens. We need to be careful to make that distinction.
    It said "work authorized" non-citizens. As I wrote, you can be a visa overstay (here illegally) and still be work authorized.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It said "work authorized" non-citizens. As I wrote, you can be a visa overstay (here illegally) and still be work authorized.
    TGS is correct.

Aliens who are Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR), commonly known as Green Card Holders can purchase and possess firearms if they meet the same requirements same as a U.S. Citizen. Green Card Holders are eligible to naturalize as U.S. Citizens. The requirements vary with the individual situation. LPR's can also serve in the U.S. Military although there are limitation on which positions they can hold and what security clearances they can obtain. LPR's are not required to become U.S. Citizens and some choose not to do so.

In general, Non-Immigrant aliens in lawful status may possess firearms if they hold a valid U.S. Hunting License. Some non immigrants may also be granted authorization to work in the United States depending on their class of admission.

There are many classes of aliens unlawfully present in the United states who are granted work authorization so they do not become a public charge. Some entered the U.S. Illegally some entered legally with non immigrant visa's and either overstayed or violated the terms of their non immigrant visa admission. Another example, an illegal alien who is placed in deportation proceedings and not held in custody is eligible for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). This would also include illegal aliens in the process of trying to obtain a green card or aliens who are paroled or granted deferred action because they are witnesses in criminal cases. None of these classes of aliens can lawfully possess a firearm or ammunition.

The requirement for U.S. citizenship for Civil Service Jobs, particularly law enforcement is based on the sensitive nature and inherent requirement for public trust in these positions.

That is really odd, considering we just had a Major over one of our divisions indicted by the same justice department because he lied about being a naturalized citizen.This guy was born in Ireland but never bothered to apply for citizenship.

He's a crony of our sheriff who is currently being held pre-trial on federal corruption charges.

The major resigned, but the sheriff refused to, but been suspended without pay due to an ouster suit that's been filed.

They're both Republicans on paper, and wonder if that makes the difference?

Not taking up for them, but it appears the feds put a lot more effort into this investigation than they have with Killary!

Anyways, it's a horrible time to be a cop in America, but at least you don't work here!
    "Backstabbers and window-lickers rise to the top of human organizations like oxygen-rich turds in a champagne fountain. I suspect it's been that way since at least the Bronze Age." _ Me. 2016

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This is rather ironic considering all federal law-enforcement jobs I am aware of including those within the US Justice Department require applicants to be US citizens.

That is the requirement for a security clearance. Most local LE jobs do not require one.
    Last edited by heyscooter; 11-23-2016 at 02:34 PM. Reason: derp

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by heyscooter View Post
    That is the requirement for a security clearance. Most local LE jobs do not require one.
    Not all Federal LE Jobs require a security clearance.

LPR's can join the Military and under DOJ definition at least, LPR's are considered "US Persons" even though they are not US Citizens. LPR's can get security clearances.

Re: Local LE - It I still a public trust position - if you don't have enough skin in the game to bother becoming a U.S. Citizen I don't want to work with you.
    Last edited by HCM; 11-23-2016 at 04:08 PM.

User Tag List