Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speer G2 45 ACP Testing Data

I bought some of the recalled 9mm 147 stuff at a recent gunshow. Chrono'ed velocities run about 960fps.

We shot one from ten feet into a bare block of gel from Clear Ballistics. Penetration was right at 16" and the bullet sort of expanded. I saw "sort of" because it more peeled than expanded.

Next up we shot through four layers of heavy clothing. The first bullet was a complete pass through. We tried another round just to confirm. Also a complete pass through.

I haven't done a ton of research (Internet reading) on the G2 but I thought all these were supposed to have a polymer insert? No such insert on these particular 147's.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I bought some of the recalled 9mm 147 stuff at a recent gunshow. Chrono'ed velocities run about 960fps.

We shot one from ten feet into a bare block of gel from Clear Ballistics. Penetration was right at 16" and the bullet sort of expanded. I saw "sort of" because it more peeled than expanded.

Next up we shot through four layers of heavy clothing. The first bullet was a complete pass through. We tried another round just to confirm. Also a complete pass through.

I haven't done a ton of research (Internet reading) on the G2 but I thought all these were supposed to have a polymer insert? No such insert on these particular 147's.
    That is odd the gel insert is missing from all of them. I'd guess they were removed by someone before you bought them, but no way to know for sure. Were these from the cases Kiesler's was selling? I bought some from them, but every round I have seen/shot both from the recalled group and the new stuff has the gel cap.

The recalled G2's wouldn't be expected to properly expand. The cuts made in the jackets were not being made properly. The tool that makes them at Speer was dull and was merely pressing into the jacket rather than making cuts at whatever depth the bullet needs. The recalled 9mm had silver colored primers like in your photos. The new ones have a gold colored primer.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

I bought some 45 as well. These all have the gel in cavity. I'm curious to see what these will do- or not do-and will try them ASAP. Will have to remold my gel so it'll be Tuesday or Wednesday I suppose before I get it done.

PS there doesn’t appear to have ever been a gel insert. If there was it was removed without a trace.

Shot the 45 G2 +P today back to back with regular GD's. Gun was a Gen 4 G21. At 10 yards the POI was a few inches higher. There was really not much difference in feel or recoil impulse. Next time I'll use a steel frame pistol as well as a Smith 625 to try it out.

Okay so here are a few bullets that were fired into 10% gel from Clear Ballistics. We tried one without clothing and also fired some through four layers of clothing to simulate the FBI protocol. We also fired two rounds through four layers of denim per IWBA.

Velocities are pretty standard for a 5in barrel (Ruger SR1911) and a 230gr bullet. These were clocking 875fps or thereabouts.

Here are two bullets through denim and one bullet through clothing that failed to expand. All three bullets punched through about 24in of gel.

Here's the one from bare gel. Penetration was just under 16in.

And the last photos are bullets that partially expanded after clothing. These all made it out of the first block and into the second for 17in or so of penetration. Interestingly all of these had four petals peel back while two petals remained unbent.

Here's what these cartridges look like:

Not ready for prime time, are they?

However, once they get sorted out that's gonna be good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell, Esq. View Post
    Not ready for prime time, are they?

However, once they get sorted out that's gonna be good stuff.
    .45 Auto shooters are already pretty spoiled for choice.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List