Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speer G2 45 ACP Testing Data

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    But my Dept is dumping the 230 gr hst +p for 9mm because it's better!��

The real question is what platforms they are launching from? There are a number of .45acp platforms I just do not like, and am forced to run them slow and concentrate hard to maintain decent accuracy. There are only a select few .45acps out there that I can shoot as well as a 9mm........usually they are single stacked steel frame models.

Yeah .45acp makes bigger holes, but for department general issue I think it is a bad choice when you have to equip a wide variety of hand sizes, body sizes/weights, physical strength, and natural skill levels.
    Last edited by Flintsky; 11-24-2016 at 11:06 AM.

I'm just enjoying shooting my Wilson 1911 so I've been loading up .45 ACP where I can find good deals. But I think the sunsetting of the 1911 by both FBI and MARSOC while both organizations transition to a Glock 19 variant reflects the overall national trend towards 9mm.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

For anyone who wants to test function and POI, it appears the 45 stuff was also recalled and is being sold as training ammo (like Keisler's did with the 9mm). Lucky Gunner has them for sale at 43 cents a round in lots of 600.

http://www.luckygunner.com/45-acp-p-...nly-600-rounds

I'm brand new to this forum and quite admittedly joined in order to reply to this thread. I just purchased a box (50 round box) of the G2 45 ACP +p 230 grain stuff. I, too, was looking for some test data on this ammo. My interest is not in using this ammo for personal defense, primarily. *I tend to carry my Glock M-41 while deer hunting on private property where I'm just as likely to encounter Coyotes and Bobcats as deer. *Likewise, I want a 45 ACP round that would penetrate to the vitals of a buck if called upon to do it. While I have numerous handgun deer kills with 44 Magnum and 454 Casull, a suitable opportunity hasn't presented itself for the Glock.*

I don't pretend to be a Gold Dot G2 expert nor offer support for these rounds, however I don't think they are currently under recall or have been labeled as "training only". The Police Distributor in Georgia where I purchased this ammo have G2 rounds in 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP in stock with no warning labels applied. *Additionally, I was under the impression that the 9mm 147 grn G2 was the heir apparent new FBI round to go with their 5th Generation Glocks. I'll shut up now.*

Quote Originally Posted by UGA DAD View Post
    I'm brand new to this forum and quite admittedly joined in order to reply to this thread. I just purchased a box (50 round box) of the G2 45 ACP +p 230 grain stuff. I, too, was looking for some test data on this ammo. My interest is not in using this ammo for personal defense, primarily. *I tend to carry my Glock M-41 while deer hunting on private property where I'm just as likely to encounter Coyotes and Bobcats as deer. *Likewise, I want a 45 ACP round that would penetrate to the vitals of a buck if called upon to do it. While I have numerous handgun deer kills with 44 Magnum and 454 Casull, a suitable opportunity hasn't presented itself for the Glock.*

I don't pretend to be a Gold Dot G2 expert nor offer support for these rounds, however I don't think they are currently under recall or have been labeled as "training only". The Police Distributor in Georgia where I purchased this ammo have G2 rounds in 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP in stock with no warning labels applied. *Additionally, I was under the impression that the 9mm 147 grn G2 was the heir apparent new FBI round to go with their 5th Generation Glocks. I'll shut up now.*
    They are using the 9mm 147gr G2 and have been for some time. Their initial batches were recalled and I presume the 45 in the link I posted was also early production stuff (you can clearly read "training only" in the photo).

I imagine Speer has pushed the 40 and 45 out after fixing the problem. The 9mm the recalled G2 has a silver/nickel colored primer. The new "good" stuff has a good colored primer. I haven't seen the 40/45 stuff in person but there's a good chance they followed the same protocol.
    Last edited by El Cid; 12-04-2016 at 11:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    I've killed quite a few deer with .45 ACP launched from a 4" S&W 625 Mountain Gun. It works very well. Let us know how that G2 works on deer if you get a shot.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 12-05-2016 at 09:36 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Snagged some of the recalled 45 G2. Primers are gold colored so I'm wondering if they changed to nickel on the new production stuff. Otherwise with loose ammo it would be impossible to tell them apart.

El CId, I want to apologize if my original post sounded like I was disputing your word about the G2 Gold Dot. That absolutely was not my intention. I simply wanted to offer an update on the rounds. I too have seen a lot of Speer products in the past that were labeled as training only when they appeared to be un-blemished. Kinda makes you wonder why they would produce gazillions of them before they were adequately tested. Marketing ploy I imagine.

For ballistic test data I rely on a friend of mine that devours that kind of thing then regurgitates it for my consumption. While he had not yet been privy to any G2+p 45 ACP round data, he was not entirely complimentary of the 9mm G2 stuff, citing that the Federal HST tested much better and is much cheaper per box than the G2 (the "cheaper" thing was my expert evaluation).

Many times new loads work very well during initial small batch production, but develop issues when mass produced resulting in the need to tweak the design or manufacturing technique. For example, the initial production run of HST had issues, as did the first runs of the original Gold Dots and now both of these loads are among the best available. Patience and persistence are both virtues...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

El CId, I want to apologize if my original post sounded like I was disputing your word about the G2 Gold Dot. That absolutely was not my intention. I simply wanted to offer an update on the rounds. I too have seen a lot of Speer products in the past that were labeled as training only when they appeared to be un-blemished. Kinda makes you wonder why they would produce gazillions of them before they were adequately tested. Marketing ploy I imagine.

For ballistic test data I rely on a friend of mine that devours that kind of thing then regurgitates it for my consumption. While he had not yet been privy to any G2+p 45 ACP round data, he was not entirely complimentary of the 9mm G2 stuff, citing that the Federal HST tested much better and is much cheaper per box than the G2 (the "cheaper" thing was my expert evaluation).
    No worries. I didn't take it that way. My job affords me access to people with information about things that sometimes I can share and sometimes not. The G2 ammo marked "training only" won't have any visible blemishes. The 9mm (and I presume the 45ACP I bought) were recalled because they were failing to expand in actual shootings. This is why so many of the "internet scientists" came out against it as well. Speer addressed the issues and the new ammo has been on the street for some time. I seriously doubt it was a marketing ploy as it did damage their reputation in LE and non-LE circles.

I don't know where the HST tested "much better", but I do know the 9mm G2 testing was fantastic beyond all expectations. But then, this is why I try to only pay attention to people like the feebs and Doc GKR when it comes to ammo testing. As far as cheaper, I still haven't seen vendors selling Gold Dot G2 for private citizens, but I haven't looked that hard either. I buy mostly from SGAmmo and check their site periodically but have yet to see it. I think Kiesler's was selling to individual LEO's, but even the Speer web page doesn't list G2.

As impressed as I am, and others even closer to the event horizon are with GD G2... I lose no sleep carrying other quality ammo such as the traditional GD, Winchester bonded Ranger, and the Barnes X bullet loadings.

Can you do me a favor and look at the primer on your box of new 45ACP GD G2? Speer changed the primer color of the 9mm to make it easy to tell the recalled ammo from the good. Wondering if they did so with the 45 also. Thanks!

User Tag List