Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LEOSA Boston, MA

Born & raised Masshole here.

Four cop buddies and I flew from Boston-Austin and back for training a few weeks ago. Boston was an absolute breeze, declaring my pistol took all of about thirty seconds.

Austin was a different story. The TSA blue shirt we dealt with at check-in was by far the least professional I have ever encountered. He was making comments about our luggage, including paying one officer "special attention" (his words, not ours) as his suitcase was heavier than the rest, then seeing that one suitcase had ammunition that wasn't in a "factory case" - it was in one of those plastic boxes reloaders use that hold each round in its own little square, 100% in accordance with federal regulations - he made a show of pulling apart that suitcase, snapping at us "not to go nowhere until I tell you so" (we were 8 feet away, taking amongst ourselves), more comments while x-raying the rest of the luggage, etc.

My only thought was the Stetson I was sporting must have pissed him off...

Again, never had an issue in and out of BOS. I know it's largely up to the individual but I was just surprised that I would be hassled in Texas, of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    Firearm laws in the Common Wealth are muddied and confusing.
    Truer words have never been spoken...there are a very select few people here (the AG and those on the Governor's advisory committee) who will reinterpret the law as they see fit. Own a neutered AR15? "Oh yeah, we just decided those are illegal. But don't worry, we won't prosecute those who already own them as they simply didn't know better at the time of purchase."

That being said, off-duty LE is exempt from the 10 round magazine capacity restrictions, as clarified a few years ago with an update to our firearms laws.

Shitty firearms laws aside, Boston in the fall is gorgeous and is probably one of my top three cities in the US to eat, drink, and walk around in.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I'm going to find myself behind the lines in a couple of weeks. Anyone have any experience flying in and out of Boston with their handgun in checked baggage? I have retired credentials, current qual card and will be carrying 239 so no high capacity issues there. I don't act a fool so the only real exposure I except is at the airport.

Thanks
    I've flown from Logan a couple of times with LEOSA creds. No issues at all. I do NOT say the word gun at the ticket counter. I do about 60 flights a year with a firearm and I say to the ticket agent this: "Good morning! I'm on flight #### to DFW (or wherever, as I hand them my DL). I need a firearms declaration form, please" For some reason, asking for a form doesn't ratchet folks up as bad as saying "I have an unloaded gun". It's worked very well for me for years.

And I'm with Craig. Boston is a great city to visit, eat, walk and enjoy, especially the spots where very brave folks began this "experiment in liberty"
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 11-22-2016 at 09:24 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I've flown from Logan a couple of times with LEOSA creds. No issues at all. I do NOT say the word gun at the ticket counter. I do about 60 flights a year with a firearm and I say to the ticket agent this: "Good morning! I'm on flight #### to DFW (or wherever, as I hand them my DL). I need a firearms declaration form, please" For some reason, asking for a form doesn't ratchet folks up as bad as saying "I have an unloaded gun". It's worked very well for me for years.

And I'm with Craig. Boston is a great city to visit, eat, walk and enjoy, especially the spots where very brave folks began this "experiment in liberty"
    Thanks Wayne, good advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I keep either a new, blank declaration card or one from my last flight on that airline. When checking in, I show it to the agent and tell them "I need another one of these, please." I have some add-on comments that make it clear that I appreciate them and will be the easiest customer they have that day. Issues are rare, and very small.
    Last edited by ST911; 11-22-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    Born & raised Masshole here.

Four cop buddies and I flew from Boston-Austin and back for training a few weeks ago. Boston was an absolute breeze, declaring my pistol took all of about thirty seconds.

Austin was a different story. The TSA blue shirt we dealt with at check-in was by far the least professional I have ever encountered. He was making comments about our luggage, including paying one officer "special attention" (his words, not ours) as his suitcase was heavier than the rest, then seeing that one suitcase had ammunition that wasn't in a "factory case" - it was in one of those plastic boxes reloaders use that hold each round in its own little square, 100% in accordance with federal regulations - he made a show of pulling apart that suitcase, snapping at us "not to go nowhere until I tell you so" (we were 8 feet away, taking amongst ourselves), more comments while x-raying the rest of the luggage, etc.

My only thought was the Stetson I was sporting must have pissed him off...

Again, never had an issue in and out of BOS. I know it's largely up to the individual but I was just surprised that I would be hassled in Texas, of all places.
    Austin does not = Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I'm going to find myself behind the lines in a couple of weeks. Anyone have any experience flying in and out of Boston with their handgun in checked baggage? I have retired credentials, current qual card and will be carrying 239 so no high capacity issues there. I don't act a fool so the only real exposure I except is at the airport.

Thanks
    Local mass-hole here. You won't have a problem going in or out. I have flown numerous times out of Logan and all my firearms declarations have been completely smooth and drama free. Much better than my experience in Houston and Charlotte NC in fact.

What's on the itinerary? I'm not a native, but having lived here for 7 years I will tell you Boston is one of my favorite cities to visit.
    Last edited by shootist26; 11-22-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Adding my 2 cents in. I have flown in and out of Logan on multiple occasions with handguns. No issues.

I usually go with "I have a firearm (or firearms) to declare" and never had a significant issue. Locked case for the pistol and the ammo in the box that I purchased it in.

The only issue is with the people who don't know the procedures, sometimes it takes a bit for someone who knows what is happening to arrive. I have yet for anyone to ask for LEO or carry permit credentials (nor should they).

Logan's been easy flying in and out of. When I get hassled, it's always down south. Go figure.

User Tag List