Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IDPA Newbie Questions

Quote Originally Posted by packfan View Post
    The holster is a Blade-Tech OWB Holster - CZ 75 SP01 Shadow, LH, Tek-Lok. From what you indicate regarding the mag pouches it looks like if I remove the tension adjustment knob it will leave a Philips screw head for adjustments. I guess it might pass as long as it is within 3/4" from body to pouch. The belt itself is rather thick so I may be better off to go to a single belt which would resolve this issue as well as the double-belt question.
    I own one of those, except for the 75 Shadow (non SP-01), and at a sanctioned match just tighten your belt really tight and you will pass. This depends too on your body shape.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Belts should be appropriate for concealed carry. Nobody wears a double belt for CC and cops rarely wear them.
    Cody
    They don't wear vests either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Ahem...Actually when the weather is good, I do. And, I occasionally see others do the same.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    Zinc is right about vests. Around here - if you see a vest, it is a fleece or similar outdoor warmth oriented vest. I think I've seen a 'tac' vest about 5 times in all the years here. I bought two concealed carry everyday vests and they sit in the closet or go to a class. Belts - you can find nice looking but sturdy gun belts that work everyday. I shoot out of my EDC holster and mag pouches with one of those belts. Putting on two belts and my pants on backwards - I'll pass. But I don't have a microsecond competition mindset.

Seems to me that IDPA is getting USPSA creep - meaning equipment nuances for winning as compared to practical carry. Isn't that why IDPA split from IPSC?
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 11-22-2016 at 06:49 PM.

I have:
    The original Team Mediocre match vest.
    An Armadillo Concealment vest really specialized for competition with my sponsors' logos.
    A tackytickle vest without logos bought on sale. Often worn to exercise class and subsequent lunch over sweats.
    An unmarked quilted vest for cool weather. Saw one just like it on a blonde chick at walmart checkout.
    Assorted oversize shirts, even Aloha shirts for warm weather.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 11-22-2016 at 07:21 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Don't have to wear a vest in IDPA.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Zinc is right about vests. Around here - if you see a vest, it is a fleece or similar outdoor warmth oriented vest. I think I've seen a 'tac' vest about 5 times in all the years here. I bought two concealed carry everyday vests and they sit in the closet or go to a class. Belts - you can find nice looking but sturdy gun belts that work everyday. I shoot out of my EDC holster and mag pouches with one of those belts. Putting on two belts and my pants on backwards - I'll pass. But I don't have a microsecond competition mindset.

Seems to me that IDPA is getting USPSA creep - meaning equipment nuances for winning as compared to practical carry. Isn't that why IDPA split from IPSC?
    Agree. See my post under New IDPA Rules.
    Cody

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Don't have to wear a vest in IDPA.
    I often wear the fleece that I use for everyday concealment at an IDPA match.
    Cody
    Last edited by cclaxton; 11-22-2016 at 07:45 PM.

My humble suggestion to the OP is stop worrying about gear and go to the match. Worst case your score won't count. Since this is your first match it won't really matter.

Go shoot, learn, repeat. Then think about gear.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 11-22-2016 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Ahem...Actually when the weather is good, I do. And, I occasionally see others do the same.
    Cody
    Not in Texas. You would literally burst into flame 10 months out of the year.
    During the summer I actually use a shotgun vest as its primarily mesh, but CC wise I'm a made man in the Hawaiian Shirt Mafia.

My humble suggestion to the OP is stop worrying about gear and go to the match. Worst case your score won't count. Since this is your first match it won't really matter.
    Best post yet. At one local club, we often will have some guys running their USPSA outfits and just going NFS. Everybody enjoys playing with the bang stick.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 11-23-2016 at 07:31 AM.

User Tag List