Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halitosis - the criminal's natural defense

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Halitosis - the criminal's natural defense

After a 2 hour jailhouse interview in a small room...BRUSH YOUR TEETH!!!

Natural defense to repel detectives?

I don't know how you guys do it.

Is it against the rules to offer them a Tic Tac?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

You'd think that drinking mouthwash to get wasted would give people better breath. Although for me it's always the ones with gross feet that actually make my stomach turn a bit. I'm thankful that now I only deal with the .mil LE side of the house.

Site Supporter
    I used to ask myself why do so many I arrest smell like ass? I'm not talking didn't shower today; but didn't shower for days!!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I don't know how you guys do it.

Is it against the rules to offer them a Tic Tac?
    Not against the rules, but I do have to put it in the detective disclosure as "favorable treatment" if I give them anything.

I have learned that giving them an orange and leaving the peel in the room helps combat body odor.

Site Supporter
    IMNSHO and both my direct and anecdotal experience- years of dental neglect (literally rotting teeth/gums etc) + chronic poor hygene = really stinky defendants.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    You'd think that drinking mouthwash to get wasted would give people better breath. Although for me it's always the ones with gross feet that actually make my stomach turn a bit. I'm thankful that now I only deal with the .mil LE side of the house.

F___, I'll never forget the hobo we dealt with during my first ridealong.

Site Supporter
    I've had people referred to me as decomposed because of the smell, that when they arrived was just body odor. We hosed them down with pine sol, they smelled better. Probably good that they couldn't feel it anymore.

Yeah, some people are just nasty.

Site Supporter
    I've handled a lot of homicides, shootings, people that died in confines spaces and were there for a long time etc. They all smell really bad. but the absolute worse thing I ever smelled was an arrestee who hadn't taken his shoes off in about a month. I swear to God, when he took his shoes off I thought I was going to faint. Ten times worse than any DOA I ever handled. Then there was the guy that asked me if he could wash his ass before I put him in the lockup because he hadn't washed his ass in a couple of weeks. We meet the most.... unique people.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

They're past the point where brushing would help. Many of these folks have advanced periodontal disease, with enterobacteria (READ: bacteria from their bowels) that in addition to contributing to their gum disease, also produces methane, or even hydrogen sulfide as a gaseous by product of their metabolism.

Decomposed individuals I deal with that require forensic odontological identification suffer a similar fate...except similar bacteria is going to work on them, EVERYWHERE, not just their mouth. So if you've ever picked up a decedent and seen them fall apart, or crack in half and a green cloud emerge, thank the ghosts of Charles Darwin, Gregor Mendel, and Joseph Lister that our bacterial buddies are at work, attempting to biodegrade the dead, but not quickly enough to be convenient for human time scales.

I'm a dentist, but I make my living by sciencing the shit out of everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List