Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your grandparents/parents were indeed cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Parents and grandparents? More than a few of us were cruising around ourselves that summer.
    Ditto. And even before ('69).

Ya buncha young whippersnappers.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

72- I think Mom still had the '67 GTO she used to reel in my Dad.
    Sadly, I was to come along about a year later, the car got sold to my aunt, who used it to reel in my uncle.
    Of course, my cousins and I regret the car is no longer in the family.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Photo pictorial of cruising Van Nuys in 1972:

http://laist.com/2016/11/17/cruising...rd.php#photo-1
    That is pretty cool, especially since I was born in Van Nuys.

Very cool. I was born in Hollywood in 1969, but arrived in NJ 5 days later....sigh. Mom had a '72 Beetle that I loved, but was gone by the time I could drive. I loved seeing muscle cars when they pulled up next to you at traffic lights. The ground would shake.

Fast forward from this article to 1987 (senior high school year) and I very fondly remember Cliffside Park, NJ on Anderson Ave. The strip was mentioned a few times on the bigger local radio stations. Every Mustang GT, Iroc-Z Camaro, GTA Trans Am, Formula (both 5.0 and 5.7ltr), Corvette, Buick Grand National, Monte Carlo SS and classic muscle cars cruised that stretch all summer. One key thing in the article from the OP that struck me was how this tradition is all but gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Parents and grandparents? More than a few of us were cruising around ourselves that summer.
    Agreed. Being a ranch kid, most of us were driving pickups or flatbeds at age 12 or 13.

I was driving a Chevy C-10 pickup in the summer of 1972. I wish I still had that truck.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Good lord no.
    It was in our driveway. We're all just lucky that my only other mobile sibling was in the backseat and not behind the car in the driveway. The baby is was in the house.

By 1972 my parents were long past cruising age, and one of my grandparents was already gone.

My father did have a 1970 Chevelle with a 454 under the hood though. He was 3.5 hours away when my mother went into premature labor with me. It did not take him three hours to get home.

He's never blamed me directly for having to get rid of the Chevelle, but I can see it in his eyes.
    Last edited by jlw; 11-21-2016 at 09:05 PM.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    ...dad was trying to survive his probation year as a peace officer - it was the year he was kidnapped and nearly killed on duty.
    I don't want to pry, but if you feel like sharing, I'd love to hear that story. Might be useful for the LEO's here.

I love the California car scene. I'm not old enough to have cruised in the '70's but when I was stationed in San Diego, you could find me drag racing my Buick Turbo T every Saturday at Carlsbad Raceway. Right up until it closing in 2004. Good memories for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonsgrid View Post
    I love the California car scene. I'm not old enough to have cruised in the '70's but when I was stationed in San Diego, you could find me drag racing my Buick Turbo T every Saturday at Carlsbad Raceway. Right up until it closing in 2004. Good memories for sure.
    When I was racing legally.....that is also where I ran. Good times.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List