Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer shot with 9mm--nothing new here

Deer shot with 9mm--nothing new here

Have you ever wondered if your the gun you depend on is capable of the task that you trust it to? Or wondered if your handloads are punching a hole or expanding properly? I have. So I decided if the opportunity ever presented itself, a short range shot, That I would harvest a deer with my 9mm. I know that the round is far from ideal, yet capable under very controlled circumstances. And deer are tough, but no animal can survive a lung shot contrary to the many tales of someone who assumed they had a good hit yet failed to recover a hit deer. My target shooting has revealed a pattern that I tend to hit 4 inches high, if I shoot fast, if I pull the trigger rather than traveling the trigger, and if I point/aim. These variables are consistent which gives me confidence. However, I can when needed aim the pistol, which is not how I like to shoot it. My front sight must be slightly buried in order to hit perfect. But I prefer to look at my target. The first shot was lethal but rather than watch the animal suffer, I chose to put more rounds into the deer in hopes quicker dispatch the animal.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA9yReNI5S8
    Last edited by 1gr8bldr; 11-20-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Take your pistol hog hunting. The hog is harder to kill. It is very tough. You can find out what works and doesn't. Deer are easily killed with a handgun. Been doing it for years. You just need good ammo and shot placement.

We had a policeman on our lease one year and he took one deer with his service auto, 9mm, just to see if he could. Yep, he could.

Site Supporter
    Ok, I'll admit that I clicked on this thread to see what was controversial. Before I complete my opinion of the information presented to the group I have several questions:

1. Was this a lawful (season and weapon type) hunt in your area designed to "harvest" an animal for food/trophy with a side benefit of testing your hand loads?
    2. Was this a single test subject, live animal test to vet your hand loaded ammo?
    3. What load/projectile was tested and was a necropsy performed to gather the data?

There are other things that I would like to know but those three questions will do.

J

Weird post.

Name:  1106514-cool_story_bro_super.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  51.3 KB

That's a pretty good first post and I enjoyed the video. My suggestion is to get a shorter rear sight or taller front sight so that your sights are on. Otherwise, that's a great looking buck!

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    Name:  1106514-cool_story_bro_super.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  51.3 KB
    In all fairness, he DOES have the video to back it up.

Many years ago before NYS DEC issued nuisance permits, it was common knowledge the grape farmers in wine country shot deer with 22 cal. rimfire between the eyes. They ended up getting in trouble not for killing the deer but illegal dumbing of wildlife carcasses.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1gr8bldr View Post
    Have you ever wondered if your the gun you depend on is capable of the task that you trust it to? Or wondered if your handloads are punching a hole or expanding properly? I have.
    No. I carry a well vetted pistol and well vetted factory ammo. They both have a track record, I've seen the effects of the shooting of people with them, and thus have zero reason to question them.

User Tag List