Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 press check

Beretta 92 press check

What technique is everyone using? I can't seem to settle on one.

I come up underneath and use the stepdown at the front of the slide as a grasping point.

Name:  BerettaPressCheck.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  44.9 KB

I have been using the first press check that EL describes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    I have been using the first press check that EL describes.
    Same. Didn't realize he taught this method until now.

awesome thanks everyone. Really falling deeper into the beretta hole. My head is saying get another p2000 and carry on, my heart is saying a 92 compact

I also use that first method that Ernest Langdon describes, which I have heard referred to as the "LAPD press check". This is pretty easy to do on a standard M9 or 92FS with the gun on-safe. Hook the index and middle fingers of the non-dominant hand over the right and left-sided safety levers and put the thumb on the upper back strap of the frame, then flex the fingers to open the breech. It is a bit harder to do with the Wilson Combat low profile non-ambi lever I have on my pistol, but it is still possible.

I either do it by the decocker levers sort of like how you would normally rack from the rear or I do it from in front of the ejection port on the slide flats regardless of the gun having front cocking serrations. I would not be comfortable doing it from the slide's step down near the muzzle.

What I've been doing is putting my non-dominant (left) thumb on the beavertail, wrapping the rest of my fingers over the top of the slide between the safety and ejection port, and squeezing together (followed by decocking from half-cock). Though the method pblanc describes seems a bit easier so I'll probably start doing it that way instead (except for my D, because no safety lever).

Also bt the compact really that much smaller in grip length than a fullsize. I'd keep an eye out for a centurion instead, jmho
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    What I've been doing is putting my non-dominant (left) thumb on the beavertail, wrapping the rest of my fingers over the top of the slide between the safety and ejection port, and squeezing together (followed by decocking from half-cock). Though the method pblanc describes seems a bit easier so I'll probably start doing it that way instead (except for my D, because no safety lever).

Also bt the compact really that much smaller in grip length than a fullsize. I'd keep an eye out for a centurion instead, jmho
    I would love to see a comparison pic if you have one?

I do it by grasping the rear of the slide the way EL shows in the above video. I fell into that by accident when I started to deal with the lockup of Bullseye guns and Baer 1911s. Unlocking a new Baer 1911 with the sprung barrel fit is easiest done in the manner that EL showed. I have seen big, strong men not get a Baer 1911 to unlock, and I have demonstrated the "curled fingers" technique more than once.

I had to laugh when EL demonstrated what happens when one overcomes the hammer spring pressure as I did exactly that -- more than once -- before I learned a better technique.
    Last edited by farscott; 11-17-2016 at 07:58 PM.

User Tag List