Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fresno CA Sheriffs Sgt killed by ND from colleague’s back up gun

Site Supporter

Fresno CA Sheriffs Sgt killed by ND from colleague’s back up gun

In tragic accident, deputy fatally struck by bullet from colleague’s gun, sheriff says

A bullet fired accidentally from a colleague’s gun fatally struck in the chest a sergeant with 20 years in law enforcement, an emotional Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims said Tuesday.

Mims identified the sergeant, who died shortly after the incident, as Rod Lucas, 46, a husband and a father of four.

The gun went off as Lucas and three colleagues gathered Monday afternoon in a room at the sheriff’s special investigations unit office near Fresno Yosemite International Airport.

At a news conference Tuesday afternoon, Mims said Lucas and a colleague, described only as a detective, were discussing safety of backup weapons when the detective’s gun went off.

Lucas died later at Community Regional Medical Center. Mims said staff in the investigations unit are plainclothes officers who investigate crimes such as narcotics and vice. No one was wearing a bulletproof vest.

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/...111892927.html

Prayers for both Deputies and their families.

That's horrible. A double tragedy and two families devastated

Prayers out for all involved or associated with this tragedy.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

My condolences once again. My black band on the badge never seems to come off anymore in California.
    Iowa lost two officers, too, a day later: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/02/us/iowa-police-shooting/

and https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-style-attacks
    Last edited by L-2; 11-02-2016 at 03:44 PM.

Another negligent discharge.
    An off-duty Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office deputy has been fired after she accidentally shot her 11-year-old daughter while she was reportedly showing off her service weapon at a Halloween party...

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    I agree that situation is completely negligent, and termination is warranted. Having said that, did you catch this in the new report:

"The Sheriff’s Office policy says firearms are expected to be locked away when they are at a deputy’s home."

Really? Do they post signs on the lawn telling thugs that they're not allowed to attack the Deputies once they're at home? Honest to God, I can't believe some of the $h1+ we see nowadays...

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
    Too bad she wasn't at home or at the station, then she could've said she was cleaning it.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Having said that, did you catch this in the new report:

"The Sheriff’s Office policy says firearms are expected to be locked away when they are at a deputy’s home."

Honest to God, I can't believe some of the $h1+ we see nowadays...
    I can't believe the BS either. But that woman is obviously the reason they have that policy.

"and the gun went off"

This type of reporting annoys me no end. This is why people who know nothing about guns think that guns can up and just "go off" and kill people without the involvement of some form of human interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Too bad she wasn't at home or at the station, then she could've said she was cleaning it.
    That is supposed to be a secret......especially when admin. is involved. Also, I have a hunch a bunch of cop suicides are also written off as cleaning accidents
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List