Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boom.....and the Mike drops....

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    I hate you.

Wait...hate is kinda a strong word...

Oh what the hell. No its NOT!

All joking aside, those are absolutely magnificent. Care to share the story on how you got them? Sometimes thats as neat as the iron.
    The gentleman who had them built put them up for sale once before and pulled them after changing his mind. They went up again and while outrageously expensive, I went ahead and bought them. Much of the stuff I am buying these days as pure investment grade historical stuff. I talked to a guy who does a lot of this who is often maligned for paying too much for some items and his response is always "find another one". His key is buying things where there is not another one and rare items. I have taken his advice and spending on rare. Jim Stroh died recently. He was known for his single actions and Stroh D/A Smith's are rare. A set like this....there is exactly one. It is the height of the art and the guns themselves matched so close to even serial number is rare. So these sort of fit my criteria for investment to a "t".
    On the other hand, I just passed on a very early Linebaugh gun I would have loved as a shooter. I went with the "gamer guns of the 30's" from another thread for the same money. I felt while Cool, the Linebaugh gun was never going to go up in price. Those Smith's in a very rare case from the 30's.....the sky is the limit on those. This is a long term project for me. It is buying stock and bullion I like and a market I understand. I can have retirement funds or an asset to leave to my kid....and enjoy while they increase in value.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    You really need to make a book

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Thanks for the story. I bet the hunting is 75% the enjoyment no?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I talked to a guy who does a lot of this who is often maligned for paying too much for some items and his response is always "find another one". His key is buying things where there is not another one and rare items. I have taken his advice and spending on rare.
    The guy you talked to knows what he is talking about. Markets almost always value premium items much more highly than items than they do items that are nice but not really premium. Over time, you are almost certain to have guns that are worth multiples of your purchase price.

These particular revolvers are simply unbelievable. My guess is that if you put them on the market today and let their existence be widely known, you could attract a bid that would be perhaps 30-50% more than what you paid.

Anyway, congratulations. The word "unique" is vastly overused these days, but this pair is unique--and gorgeous.

I guess if you're into expertly done, hand massaged, vintage craftsmanship they're ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of what is making my collection more valuable and is what is guiding my purchases is how things fit together in the whole collection. An example would be my 3.5" Pre Model 27's from the fifties. Any of the three guns are nice, but as a set of three that encompasses a stock blue gun, a factory nickel with Ivory stocks and a Japanese engraved gun reblued by Smith and with exhibition grade stags is worth far more than each gun individually.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Simply magnificent revolvers. Thanks for sharing, Darryl.

And yes, you absolutely should shoot them.

Best, Jon

What? No steer head grips?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Those only belong on a Wolf and Klar. And yes, he has one of those, too.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I have them.....just not on these. These are the original Mother of Pearl's from Wolf and Klar that made this style famous on the 3rd Model of 1926 guns. It is on my all original Wolf & Klar along with a restored one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List