Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to carry in Hill People Kit Bag

Site Supporter

How to carry in Hill People Kit Bag

I use a Hill People Kit Bag to carry my gun CZ P-07 while I hike. It's a handy way to carry but I am trying to figure out a way to securely carry it loaded. I have what I think is a Dale Fricke "van guard style" holster. However it's so tight that it takes an insane amount of force to pull the gun out of the holster. So much so that it makes me nervous about an ND/AD trying to pull it out.

While I think it is unlikely that an ND/AD would happen just putting my gun in the pack, I am a little leery to do that.

I did some reading on the threads already on hiking and carry and the Hill People Gear Kit Bags.

How do you all carry? What do you all think of the Maxpedition universal holster?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Personally...g17, vanguard 1. Get a grip on the pistol, index finger in the ejection port. Draw and enjoy.

Although if I used a DA/SA gun I'd probably skip the vanguard.

At the range, of course.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    I think I'm just going to use the maxpedition universal holster / strap thing. The vanguard style holster is well made but unusable for me in this role.

I'm just ver careful with firearms and want to be as safe as possible while keeping the weapon useable. You are right that it's probably fine to just put a Da/Sa gun in there but I just wouldn't have piece of mind.

A 92fs or USP eithe safety on would be a different story.

I use an Original Kit Bag in the woods and a Runners bag for running. I usually carry a full size M&P and just put it in the gun compartment. I've used them since they came out and haven't had any issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took the loops off an old kydex IWB holster, stuck a bunch of velcro to the back of it, and stuck it inside the HPG bag.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I'm carrying a P30 in mine now.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Fill the HPG with protein bars and your camera, while keeping your pistol in a George. Only half kidding.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I had a similar issue with my hill people chest bag.

I just tied a double paracord loop between both the holster and the loop in the bag inside, no issue since.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I just tied a double paracord loop between both the holster and the loop in the bag inside...
    I do the same with a G19 or G26 and a vanguard.

HPG runners bag seems to work dandy with midsize pistols without any holster.

If I was worried about it, I'd probably just buy one of the velcro Vertx holsters, or some other cheap nylon thumb break deal like the out-of-production Eagle fanny pack.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List