Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock low-profile magazine wells

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Glock low-profile magazine wells

So, I have a Gen 4 Glock 35 that I am tuning up to serve as both a home defense/winter OWB carry pistol as well as a gun for USPSA limited. I know that the best way to produce a USPSA limited Glock 35 would make it also a poor choice for a carry gun, but then again I am not planning on shooting that much limited. If I do end up loving limited, don't worry, I will get a dedicated match gun.

Anyway, point is, I want a magwell on this gun that isn't huge and bulky like the Dawson ICE, even if it may do a better job at begin a magwell than the low profile/duty/concealment magwells I am considering. The ones on my radar are :

Agency Arms
    Raven Freya (formerly a Sentinel Designs product)
    ZevTech Pro
    ALG Defense
    Salient/VTac
    Suarez Industries

For those of you with experience with any/all of the above designs, what do you think is best for my purpose? I am leaning towards the ALG item as it would add weight to the gun which would be desirable for gun games and not unwelcome for home defense/carry so long as function isn't impeded. That said, it also seems like it would be difficult to strip a stuck mag with the ALG item and I've heard mixed things about the quality of this part.

Raven Freya seems like the best duty-oriented magwell of the above, giving you some room for your fingers to strip a stuck mag. Agency Arms/Salient/Suarez appear to be 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Haven't seen a lot of good in depth reviews on these products.

The Zevtech Pro magwell is especially interesting as it looks like it splits the difference between duty and performance qualities, but I've read that it can cause frame flex that might result in a stuck mag or, potentially, malfunction with my G35 (it must run reliably with a weaponlight).

This is all that I've been able to gather independently - anyone with first hand experience with some/all of the above magwells that could chime in?

Note- I know that in the past at least one of these threads has become a massive debate about the utility of this kind of magwell. If you feel that way, you're welcome to chime in, but just for the sake of getting information on the above products, please at least say which magwell(s) you've tried and why you think they're inferior to a grip plug. Just please don't turn this into a poo flinging contest.

I just got a freya in the mail.

Gata put some time on it to see how I like it.

Not for carrying though, just too big.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

For the record, the G35 I would be putting the magwell on would be for outside the waistband carry under a heavy winter jacket. This gun will likely never be carried IWB.

Do let me know how you like the Freya, though. They're out of their 4th gen full size model but I'm in no rush to buy just yet.

I haven't tried any of the lower profile, concealed carry style of magwell and am not sure I've ever felt like the gun needs one. I do have the ALG magwell and use it for 2 reasons. One, it was free when buying the 6 Second Mount during a promotion. And 2, it helps restore the balance to the pistol. It's a G17L so with the optic and mount the extra weight at the magwell balances it nicely. It's my HD/nightstand pistol so I'm not wearing it out in public.

Overall the fit and finish is great (like everything I've tried from the Geissele family). It has a brass weight and locks in securely. Not sure if it's Gen 4 compatible as my 17L is a gen 3.

The one thing I'll warn about is it doesn't work with LAV floor plates or the Arredondo +5 extensions. The TTI extensions do work perfectly though. OEM floor plates (including +2's) work perfectly as do the 10-8 versions. The ETS mags work and so do the Magpul 17rd mags.

Last edited by El Cid; 09-11-2016 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I haven't tried any of the lower profile, concealed carry style of magwell and am not sure I've ever felt like the gun needs one. I do have the ALG magwell and use it for 2 reasons. One, it was free when buying the 6 Second Mount during a promotion. And 2, it helps restore the balance to the pistol. It's a G17L so with the optic and mount the extra weight at the magwell balances it nicely. It's my HD/nightstand pistol so I'm not wearing it out in public.

Overall the fit and finish is great (like everything I've tried from the Geissele family). It has a brass weight and locks in securely. Not sure if it's Gen 4 compatible as my 17L is a gen 3.

The one thing I'll warn about is it doesn't work with LAV floor plates or the Arredondo +5 extensions. The TTI extensions do work perfectly though. OEM floor plates (including +2's) work perfectly as do the 10-8 versions. The ETS mags work and do the Magpul 17rd mags.

That's awesome - thanks for the input! The balance of the gun is definitely something I'd like to improve, as the G35 w/ TLR-1 makes for a very front-heavy gun.

We have the Sentinel, and maybe a Rogers, on two of my wife's Glock 34 range pistols. Her other two 34 pistols have just a grip plug. These pistols get shot a lot with minimal maintenance, and live in range bags that go into planes, and generally lead a hard life. Seems like they frequently are coming loose, which I find out about when my wife says "hey, the magwell is falling off." Interestingly, I don't see her reloads being faster with the magwell, as the standard Glock with a grip plug is quite easy to load fast, with some practice.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    We have the Sentinel, and maybe a Rogers, on two of my wife's Glock 34 range pistols. Her other two 34 pistols have just a grip plug. These pistols get shot a lot with minimal maintenance, and live in range bags that go into planes, and generally lead a hard life. Seems like they frequently are coming loose, which I find out about when my wife says "hey, the magwell is falling off." Interestingly, I don't see her reloads being faster with the magwell, as the standard Glock with a grip plug is quite easy to load fast, with some practice.
    Thanks for the input. Has your wife tried using loctite to keep the screw in place?

and yeah - I should mention another reason that I am leaning towards the ALG unit is the added heft of the brass weight, which I wouldn't get from the sentinel or similar designs (AA, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post

That sounds like a challenge...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Thanks for the input. Has your wife tried using loctite to keep the screw in place?

and yeah - I should mention another reason that I am leaning towards the ALG unit is the added heft of the brass weight, which I wouldn't get from the sentinel or similar designs (AA, etc)
    Ha, that would be me, as she has people for that sort of thing. I think so, in years past.

The ALG unit looks interesting to me, too.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Ha, that would be me, as she has people for that sort of thing. I think so, in years past.

The ALG unit looks interesting to me, too.
    I need aftermarket baseplates on my .40 mags anyway...

User Tag List