Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pmags, why so popular?

Pmags, why so popular?

Just like the glock thread, are Pmags so popular due to the reliability or is it the brand and aggressive marketing? I have used Gi, lancers and gen 2 pmags, and only had minor issues with the GI mags. We don't have a huge range of mags this side of the pond.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ices-for-an-AR
    This is probably not the best thread but I was completely uninformed about mags and it helped me.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

There are tons of magazine manufacturers, and many that appear to be standard GI magazines are not actually produced to the military standard. I find it easy to recommend PMAGs to friends as a known good magazine that is easily identified (so the branding and marketing certainly helps).

My GI magazines are produced by Okay Industries and Colt/NHTM, but I've found them much harder to find in stores.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

a known good magazine
    Precisely. Another endearing feature is sort of counter-intuitive, but when PMAGs break, they show it. No seams to split, no ever so slightly damaged feed lips, just crunch and done.

Ever unload an aluminum gi mag? It's stupid. Just for that reason I prefer polymer.

Pmags are cheap, reliable, more comfortable to load, and have the extra cool factor. Why not?

One of the guys at Magpul wrote about the PMag design and testing, so it'll be biased, but very informative nevertheless: https://primaryandsecondary.com/magpul-pmag-gen-m3/

I've been using them since 2007-2008 and am a happy customer.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

PMAGs gained a lot of popularity mid GWOT. At that time, troops were using mostly worn out mags. Most malfunctions with M16s and M4s in the military can be attributed to mags with qualities ranging from worn-out to down right broken. Replacement was usually done by tossing the bad mag into the footlocker/case/box of mags, and taking another used mag out of the same case. It was done to me, right in front of me with my own two eyes. They did not have a service life, they were treated as everlasting items which need no replacement or maintenance.

So, when this cool company comes out with the PMAG which not only has a better follower design but is not worn out to begin with, it's cause for celebration among troops. Finally, a mag that is shit hot and actually works. It's polymer, too, which naturally added to said shit-hotness. What was pretty awesome is that when we got recycled (not refurbished) mags, MagPul was at all the military expos handing out free PMAGs to troops. I even got some that way. So, there's extra brownie points that influence their branding.

A PMAG isn't all that mo'better over a GI mag with a good follower or any of the other quality mags out today; it's just that the PMAGs entry into the marketplace came when troops were flooded with absolute shit mags past their service life. It made a lasting impression. The same troops got out after their enlistment, came back to the US and started Gun Culture 2.0. They brought the love of the PMAG with them.

Simple as that.
    Last edited by TGS; 11-19-2016 at 05:45 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    One of the guys at Magpul wrote about the PMag design and testing, so it'll be biased, but very informative nevertheless: https://primaryandsecondary.com/magpul-pmag-gen-m3/
    Very impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    {GI magazines} did not have a service life, they were treated as everlasting items which need no replacement or maintenance.
    Whivh is kind of funny, when you consider that the original GI magazines were supposed to be disposable...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List